Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - alan kearn

I bought a new metallic blue Polo 1.4 tdi pd in 2002 It now has mileage of only 19,200 it has spent the vast amount of its life in a garage because over the last 12 years it has only been used once every 10/14 days, mostly a round trip to the supermarket of about 12 miles plus a few trips elseware.
It really is in an imaculate condition not even a scuff mark inside or out, the only repair work done on it has been 2 close MOT failures for broken front coil suspension springs (possibly a bad batch).
Since the third year dealer service I have changed the oil and filters every year myself even though the the years mileage have been as low as 600/900. As I have done the oil changes myself I have no service record to show but I do have the oil and filter bills for each year. In effect the 12 years I have service it myself it has done about 10,000 miles which is equivalent to not much more than one service period. If the car had been serviced by the dealer in this period it woud probably have cost me more than the car is worth now.
The main VW dealer has done 3 cambelt changes the last one (2014) included the water pump and I have the bills for these.
It is in effect a 15 year old car with less wear and tear of a 2 year old car. Nobody has sat in the back seats and only occaionally in the front passenger seat
I know its a 15 year old car but surely its worth a little more than the around £800/1000 that this vintage are fetching.
Anybody like to give me a reasonable price to ask for it.
Click below for MOT history entering this Reg No YP02FVH

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Thanks

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - nellyjak

Personally, I wouldn't pay you any more.

Understandably, it may seem worth more to you but you have an emotional element in this.

Cars are best being used..not sat around in a garage for most of their life...and parts DO deteriorate.

For me, low mileage and over many years is not a good buying signal.

I don't doubt it's a lovely car in great condition...but for someone who wants to buy and use it "normally" then they could find themselves looking at more expense than you/they might think.

However, if they take that on board then I'm sure there will be peeps who are genuinely interested.

Good luck.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - madf

No mention of underbody corrosion (did the springs break due to corrosion?they usually do).

On the basis it is 15 years old, not a oustanding model and in a market where the average car sells for c 450 (judging by local ads).. your best bet is to advertise it on the VW forums and hope to find an enthusiast who wants one. Unless you do or find someone who wants one for sentimental reasosn, then I would say £1,000 tops... But bear in mind at that price you want a buyer who really really wants one. And I would expect a full 12 months MOT, absolutley no corrosion, newish tyres, shiny brake disks a recent service with all VW filters..(for the picky buyers).

Remember you have only a stack of invoices for oil etc, so a buyer will have to trust you as an individual.. so a selling job.

If your ad is good enough, you might get more but I would not bank on it. If your ad is poor, you may get less or no buyer at all..

Water causes corrosion

This car is kept in a garage full time and only sees the light of day about 35 days out of 365 a year so they won't see as much of the wet stuff as one left outside

Strange the back suspension springs are still ok and I would think they would have more rubbish thrown at them from the front wheels

As for corrosion how come its still the original exaust system thats fitted

Edited by alan kearn on 30/10/2017 at 12:53

OK I take in what you say

At present I will concentrate on engine wear

The most engine wear comes from cold starts

How many cold starts does your car engine get in a year Dont forget if you use it for work it will probably be twice a day

This Polo is started up from cold about 30/35 times a year

Which engine would you chose one thats started from cold 35 times a year or one thats started up ftrom cold say 45 weeks a year times 5 days times twice a day which in my mind equals 450 cold starts.

I know which engine will get the most wear.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - RobJP

You've decided, in your mind, that it's worth considerably more than an equivalent car with 'normal' mileage. You came on here, hoping that people would support your reasoning.

That didn't happen, so you're now trying to justify your reasoning, by pointing out the 'real' plus points that you can see, but nobody else can.

Let me put it this way, however.

When a car is left to stand, you'll get condensation in the engine. That condensation normally, in a regularly-used car, goes away. In a really lightly-used car, however, it doesn't. Exactly the same with the exhaust. The condensation sits in there, rotting it from the inside out.

Unless the garage is heated and perfectly dry inside (and most garages don't have a damp-proof course built in), then the garage is damp. Again, more rust on unprotected components - hence the coil springs breaking.

If you really want to find out what it's worth, then the best bet is ebay motors. Start it at £1, no reserve, and wait and see what happens.

However, prepare to be very disappointed. I think you're reckoning it's worth a lot more than it really is.

I'd not give 4 figures for it, unless it was in immaculate condition underneath. It's an old diesel - the sort that are going to be banned from a lot of cities in the next 2-3 years, or will have to pay heavy 'pollution penalties'.

If it is true what you say about corrosion please explain why the thing most likely to rust through first (in my opinion) the exaust system has not been changed yet after 15 years.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - madf

If it is true what you say about corrosion please explain why the thing most likely to rust through first (in my opinion) the exaust system has not been changed yet after 15 years.

Our Yaris diesel. is 14 years old and still on its original exhaust. (I have some idea of its value despite under 60k miles and it is not 4 figures)

Both are diesles so far less acid combustion products than petrol.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - gordonbennet

If i needed a car in this class i'd be beating a path to your door right now, i wouldn't be the only one, whether you will find the right buyer on a VW forum i don't know, an ad on gumtree would be free but oh boy are you letting yourself in for some undesirable attention, the bay of e might be better but i'd do a simple classified ad because that place too has its share of those you would go out of your way to avoid.

I'd love to be on the way up now, why do these cars never crop up when i or any of my family need one? best of luck getting the right buyer.

So you would buy a car with say for this year 80,000 miles on the clock over one with 19,000 because the one with 19,000 it will have deteriated more because it has been kept in a garage

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - daveyjp

All you can do is put it on a well known auction site and see if there are two people who really want it and bid the price up.

Someone may even buy it just for the engine. An old 19,000 miler is more useful than a blown 200,000 miler.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - badbusdriver

So you would buy a car with say for this year 80,000 miles on the clock over one with 19,000 because the one with 19,000 it will have deteriated more because it has been kept in a garage

Cars need to be used, simple as. This was, for it's time, a highly complex turbo diesel runing an extrmemly high pressure (25000psi) fuel pump. This PD (or pumpe duse) technology is what VW used before 'common rail' technology became the norm. Arguably, the PD is better, but this is irrelevant for the post as having such a low mileage is not a particularly desirable trait for a complex diesel engine whether common rail or PD. Someone who knows about these things is rightly going to be put off by such a low mileage on a car like this. Whereas someone who doesn't know much about it is, (a) not likely to want an old diesel car (due to the anti diesel hysteria) and, (b) not likely to want a car this old full stop.

Personally, i am a huge fan of this engine in either the polo, lupo, or audi A2, and drove quite a few during my time working at a VW dealership during the early 2000's. I was blown away by the mid range grunt of this engine and it's remarkable ability to cover ground at a much higher rate than you'd expect from a car with only 75bhp.

But i have to ask, given your useage, why on earth would you buy one?. They were considerably more expensive than the petrol equivalent, and considerably less suitable for someone covering such a small amount of miles.

Oh, and with regards to your question above. Assuming both cars were in similar condition, with eveidence of the proper service schedule having been strictly adhered to, i'd be more inclined to go with the 80k mile car.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - mss1tw

One thing that would stop me buying a mint 15 year old car would be the deisre to keep it mint.

But then keeping it mint would be purely a labour of 'love' with no financial benefit, just personal satisfaction

Hopefully it gets a good new owner

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - SLO76
Assuming it's an early 4th gen, has at least 6mths Mot and is as tidy as you say then I'd advertise it on Autotrader for £1,995 and take the arm off anyone that'll offer £1,500 or more. It's a good robust model with excellent fuel economy yet has a bit of poke. That low mileage is unusual on a diesel and there's always demand for these as first cars or commuters. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's a modern classic and worth fortunes however. If it's a late 3rd gen I'd revise that price down £300. As a trade in it's just another old motor and will be well under £1,000. It's the kind of low mileage older car I'd be delighted to buy for stock if you were near me.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/10/2017 at 13:34

Just curious

can you tell which generation my Polo is from this invoice

Click on the link please

postimg.org/image/1t6b24nvsb/

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - RobJP

Unfortunately, that doesn't really tell anyone much. It could be an early gen 4, or a late-registered Gen 3.

Just have a look at the headlights on the car.

One big square headlight on each side, it's a gen 3. As per this image

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/polo-iii-.../

Round lights, 2 per side, it's a gen 4. Like this.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/polo-iv-2...y

The simple facts, however, are that it's a 15 year old car, with an engine that's going to be banned or heavily penalised from lots of cities in the next 2-3 years, and there's currently a big anti-diesel backlash on too.

Its a fourth generation

Thanks

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - Ethan Edwards

Incidentally the trade guide usually only allows about an extra 200 quid or so for every 20k miles under the average. I too happen to think that's nuts but that's the figures.

Why not keep it and run it to expiry? Obviously you have looked after it well.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - SLO76
"Incidentally the trade guide usually only allows about an extra 200 quid or so for every 20k miles under the average. I too happen to think that's nuts but that's the figures."

With motors this age forget price guides, they're utterly useless.
Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - Avant

I'm curious - why do you want to sell it, Alan? It's surely worth much more to you than it is in the market.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - Joseph Holt

If you put it in autotrader for 1750, you will sell it dead easy for 1500, that is if your car is mint like you say, take plenty of photos, and if people make silly offers over the phone, tell them to **** off.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - gordonbennet

^^ I agree, lots of people want to keep running older Diesels, the sort of people who take not a blind bit of notice what the latest environmental scare story is, and wouldn't go within 20 miles of a city if you paid them, this car is an ideal candidate.

You'd all be too late anyway, cos if i'd needed such a car it would by now have been sitting on my drive and the OP happy with a bulging wallet.

Polo 1.4 tdi pd - How much is this immaculate old car worth - Electric Leaper
Hi Alan,

I’m in the market for a small commuter car and this could do me very nicely, if you’re still wanting to sell.

Thanks,
Sunny