Reliable diesel? - Project C

Hi all

In the market for a diesel estate. Think it's going to have to be diesel because I do over 20k miles per year a lot of which is motorway, and will want the car to last a while.

Which of the current diesel engines are proving reliable and which should be avoided?

Thanks

Reliable diesel? - SLO76
You forgot to give the most important piece of information anyone needs before giving advice... your budget. What we'll suggest regarding diesels at £2,000 will be very different at £20,000.
Reliable diesel? - RobJP

Also, manual or auto ? Some autoboxes are particularly weak.

Reliable diesel? - Graham567

Ford Mondeo 2.0 diesel 07-10 plate has been proved to be very reliable.

Airport taxi drivers use them around here and they can do hundreds of thousands of miles if serviced correctly.The dpf has been pretty trouble free as well.

Reliable diesel? - S40 Man

I'll second that. Mines on 191k had it from 100k it's needed a serpentine belt in next that time. I service myself with dip stick oil extraction.. nice big reliable motor.

Why is there an address in middle of text box on a smartphone?

Sorry good point, around 12k

Reliable diesel? - SLO76
First option which springs to mind would be the Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC Estate. No engine issues showing up to date. It's the best small Diesel engine on the market. It pulls well, has plenty of room, will do a genuine average of 65mpg and is always in demand when you choose to sell it on. A great car for covering heavy mileages. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170617653...6

The Skoda Octavia 2.0 is another worthy. Thousands of taxi drivers can't be wrong... Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170813829...2

The Toyota Avensis is another tough big wagon but post facelift cars run a BMW diesel motor with a reputation for timing chain issues. It should be ok if serviced by a main dealer every year or 10,000 miles no matter what the service schedule says. The older 2.0 D4-D is a Toyota engine and pretty long lived as you'd expect. The very best late 2015 cars are within budget. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160407272...4

Another couple of grand would get you a current model Mondeo 2.0 diesel which is a lovely big bus but keep clear of the 1.5 diesel which is a downsized PSA 1.6 which has a terrible reputation. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170816838...0

Edited by SLO76 on 29/08/2017 at 23:14

Thanks for this, is this the 1.5 in the current/latest focus that's one to avoid?

Reliable diesel? - SLO76

Thanks for this, is this the 1.5 in the current/latest focus that's one to avoid?

The 1.5 is based on the previous 1.6 which has a nasty reputation. From what I can see all Ford have done is downsize it along with the 1.6 Ecoboost, now 1.5 also for tax reasons in some markets where 1.5 is a cut off. I doubt it will solve this engines longterm reliability problems. I'd avoid it along with the 1.0 Ecoboost. The 2.0 diesel is a good engine though and fit for 200k plus if well cared for. But one fear with Ford is that they have been carrying out major cost cutting efforts globally since the crash. The European arm in particular has been loss making and pressure has been put on suppliers to cut costs and thus will almost certainly have a detrimental effect on quality.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/08/2017 at 22:36

Thanks again. I've also considered a mazda 6. There is the 2.0 petrol or 2.2 diesel. Didn't mazda have a terrible reputation for diesel engines?

Reliable diesel? - SLO76

Thanks again. I've also considered a mazda 6. There is the 2.0 petrol or 2.2 diesel. Didn't mazda have a terrible reputation for diesel engines?

The Skyactiv petrol motors are utterly reliable but the diesels have a rather nasty reputation and are best avoided. I often recommend the current 3 and 6 2.0 petrols. They're great to look at (well the 6 is), nice to sit in, lovely to drive and vice free. A Civic 1.6 diesel will be far better on fuel, it'll hold its money better and has much stronger midrange urge but doesn't handle, ride or steer as nicely.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/09/2017 at 00:08

Thanks. Civic will join the mondeo, Octavia, ceed and i30 tourers on my shortlist

Edited by Project C on 08/09/2017 at 00:20

Reliable diesel? - SLO76

Thanks. Civic will join the mondeo, Octavia, ceed and i30 tourers on my shortlist

A sensible shortlist. Remember although the Kia and Hyundai will be cheaper to buy they will be next to worthless when you come to sell if you're putting a heavy mileage on. The Civic and Octavia will always fetch money even with a six figure mileage. Not to say either of the Korean's are bad cars, they're excellent. Just they tend to collapse in value.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/09/2017 at 00:29

Reliable diesel? - Metropolis.
Any volvo with the D5 (5 cylinder one, not the newer 4 unit
Ideally paired with an auto box. Does depend on your
budget though.
Reliable diesel? - Avant

I'd go along with SLO's suggestions. There are lots more similar Hondas and Skodas on our own website under 'cars for sale'.

Reliable diesel? - barney100

Volvo V70 for me, I have a 2008 2.4 d and it has decent MPG, swallows large amounts in the back is q nice to drive. Volvos last well too, see the club high mileage section.

Reliable diesel? - Big John

Few mentions of Volvo 5 cylinder diesel engine - 100% agree

However auto box fails without regular gearbox oil changes

Edited by Big John on 30/08/2017 at 22:58

Reliable diesel? - SteveLee

The best estate car for £12K is without doubt the Mondeo, it rides and handles as well as anything, 'tis reliable, very well equipped - the 2.0 Econotec lump isn't the last word in refinement - but is punchy and reliable. You'll get more car for your money than an equivalent VAG product - it's (dynamically) a better car than anything VAG (and just about everyone else) makes, it just the badge that puts people off - and why line the pockets of a dishonest company such as VAG?

But... If the government does the sensible thing and taxes diesels off the road (I've been railing for years about the common adoption of nasty polluting diesels) just because they pump out less plant food. Then you will be left with an expensive to run lemon.

Therefore I'd say your best bet is (as already mentioned above) a petrol Mazda 6 skyactiv, the 45 vs 55 mpg will cost you £400 a year or £7.60p a week and will be less likely to leave you with a £3000+ fuel system repair bill than a diesel. Perhaps, one day, we’ll even have diesel free roads again - saving the lives of dozen of bikers per year and stop poisoning city dwellers. I wouldn't trust an ecoboost Ford petrol, hence the Mazda recommendation – the best petrol out there at the mo.

Edited by SteveLee on 09/09/2017 at 17:51

Reliable diesel? - Steveieb
Does a 13 plate 2 .0 Mondeo diesel also get the thumbs up ? And does it suffer from any DPF problems.
My colleague faded a 5k bill when his just stopped and the main dealer diagnosed a new ABS system . But thanks to this forum a contributor suggested checking a wire to the Abs unit which breaks near the gearbox.
When my colleague mentioned this to the dealer they reduced the bill to £1800, but I wonder if the problem could have been resolved by replacing the broken wire !
Reliable diesel? - SteveLee

If the choice were mine and I had my heart set on a diesel, I'd actually buy the 2.2 Mondeo because it goes like the way diesels smell - stink. It's a real world fast car. But I don't know how much that would affect running costs/bugdet.

Thanks for all feedback so far

Would any of the modern turbo petrols be up to a sizable mileage?

Reliable diesel? - Sulphur Man

Petrol - Toyota Avensis Tourer 1.8 Valvetronic, preferably with the Multidrive S autobox, which is a good CVT. It will do 40-45mpg on a run and is obviously minus the emissions gubbins of diesel. Not many around used, those that are have 100k+ mileages. Worth a look

Reliable diesel? - SLO76

Thanks for all feedback so far

Would any of the modern turbo petrols be up to a sizable mileage?

They're unproven and heavy mileage will kill used values. With your budget and usage I'd go diesel but the Honda Civic 1.8 Estate, Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol, Mazda 6 Skyactiv are good petrol options with no turbo to worry about. To date engine issues are far more prevalent on small capacity turbo petrols that with larger normally asperated engines. Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost is notorious for early failure, Fiat's 900cc Twin air is proving fragile and the jury is still out on VAG's TSi motors, earlier generations were pretty soft, largely due to weak timing chains which have since been replaced by belt drive. Honda and Toyota are in the game now and likely to have got it right and the Auris 1.2T Estate is a good option on your budget but again high miles will kill its value.
Reliable diesel? - pd

If you're going to put serious amount of mileage on it any Ford, Mazda or whatever will be worth about £2.50 when you come to sell it regardless of model or engine.

I saw a perfectly decent 2006 06 Mazda 6 petrol with about 130k and 10 months MOT sell for......£160 at auction yesterday!

You literally can't give them away once they get to a point so I wouldn't worry too much about residuals - you're talking a few hundred quid at most difference between them all.

Thank you all

I will certainly bear in mind some of the larger n/a petrols, might be worth sacrificing mpg for reliability. Nice little list to go at.