KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - iFocus

Hi All,

As per the previous thread I had an accident in my Kia Cee'd about 2 weeks ago; the third parties insurance company had their approved repairer collect the car last week to do an estimate and get it repaired or so I thought.

I've been chasing my car over the last day or 2 to be told that the engineer is looking at the report and is likely to offer me cash in lieu of the repair. They didn't go in to much detail but I've found online that this is offered where the car is older than average or if new parts aren't available.

My car is a 2008 Kia Cee'd with 125,000m on it in reasonable condition, so I don't see it qualifying under any of the above. Unless Kia no longer do replacement front wings for it?

The damage is to a rear door and a large dent on the front wing which has scraped the paint down to metal on it along with a bent part in the suspension/steering set up.

My question is can I insist the insurer repairs the vehicle and puts me back to where I was before the accident or do I have any other recourse? I don't really want to get the car repaired myself due to the inconvenience of it but I know I can't leave the damage as it will rust etc.

TIA,

Craig

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - RT

It sounds like they want to write it off as uneconomic to repair - as happens if the repair estimate is over 60% of the car's value - quite likely with a car of that age.

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - SLO76
It's an uneconomic repair. There's little value in a high mileage Cee'd, especially if it's a petrol model despite being a perfectly decent car. It's worth £700-£1,000 trade assuming it had a bit of Mot left and is running ok.
It's an uneconomic repair. There's little value in a high mileage Cee'd, especially if it's a petrol model despite being a perfectly decent car. It's worth £700-£1,000 trade assuming it had a bit of Mot left and is running ok.

It is a 1.6 diesel so hopefully it is worth more than that I hope! If they wrote it off I'd be annoyed but it wouldn't be as inconvenient I don't think as having to get my car back to repair it myself and be without it for a further few weeks whilst I got it repaired myself and with the added inconveniece of finding a bodyshop to do it too; at least I could get a new car but they only seem to be mentioning cash in lieu?

Edited by exCee'dingly Good on 13/07/2017 at 10:30

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - RobJP

Well, having a quick look on Autotrader shows Cee'd's with similar mileage for sale at £1300 or so. But that's retail (so subject to negotiation), with a small amount of CRA warranty - which your car wouldn't have, so yes, £700-1000 is a realistic value for your car.

But is the damage major or not ? (you are saying you'd be without it 'for a few weeks whilst it got repaired'), initially though, you seemed to be indicating that the damage was quite minor.

If they wrote it off, you'd have a major fight on your hands to get anything more than £1000 for it. If the car is reliable and if it's a simple, small fix, then it may well be worth taking the 'self-repair' money and being grateful that you've still got the car.

I'd describe the damage as moderate cosmetic plus the bent part in the suspension. It'd definitely have to be repaired as there is a smallamount of exposed metal from the crash that could rust and rather quicky.

I'd prefer they repair it which is what I really want so I don't have the inconvenience of being without a car; which I believe is my right?

The cash in lieu seems to be half way house which really isn't convenient (or fair) considering the mileage I do each week.

I suppose I'll have to wait and see what their offer is in relation to the Cash in Lieu.

Edited by exCee'dingly Good on 13/07/2017 at 11:04

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - RobJP

Your only 'right' is to be put back in the position you were in before the incident. If the vehicle is uneconomic to repair (at full insurance rates), then the insurance copany are entitled to write the car off and hand you a cheque for it's value - this is viewed as putting you back in the position you were in prior to the accident. You do NOT have the 'right' to get the car repaired if the cost of repairs is uneconomical.

By not paying full 'insurance rates' (which are piled on a bit for the insurance industry) you can probably get the work done for considerably less. Hence why they are offering you this. It is cheaper for them (they don't have to pay you £1000 or so and write off the car, getting minimal amount back as salvage), and it is better for you (you get to keep your car, not having to put £1000 or so into something that might be a total dog)

Be careful what you wish for.

"It is a 1.6 diesel so hopefully it is worth more than that I hope! If they wrote it off I'd be annoyed but it wouldn't be as inconvenient I don't think as having to get my car back to repair it myself and be without it for a further few weeks whilst I got it repaired myself and with the added inconveniece of finding a bodyshop to do it too; at least I could get a new car but they only seem to be mentioning cash in lieu?"

A diesel will be worth a couple of hundred more but beyond 100k mileages kills their value as no one wants to retail it. You could buy your car back and repair it yourself but in order to win you'd have to cut corners and use aftermarket parts and a cheap backstreet bodyshop. Factor into the equation that any cheap repair will be visible and combined with the write off status the car will be effectively valueless.

It depends on how much damage was done. If it's relatively minor cosmetic and you're happy with a visible repair and the car was otherwise sound then it could be worthwhile but if there's any structural or serious suspension damage I'd take the payout. You could try for more, you don't get if you don't ask but I'd figure they'll offer between £800-£1200 depending on the condition of the car in general. This is the position you would've been in value wise before the accident. Not ideal but no one wins with the insurance industry.
"It is a 1.6 diesel so hopefully it is worth more than that I hope! If they wrote it off I'd be annoyed but it wouldn't be as inconvenient I don't think as having to get my car back to repair it myself and be without it for a further few weeks whilst I got it repaired myself and with the added inconveniece of finding a bodyshop to do it too; at least I could get a new car but they only seem to be mentioning cash in lieu?" A diesel will be worth a couple of hundred more but beyond 100k mileages kills their value as no one wants to retail it. You could buy your car back and repair it yourself but in order to win you'd have to cut corners and use aftermarket parts and a cheap backstreet bodyshop. Factor into the equation that any cheap repair will be visible and combined with the write off status the car will be effectively valueless. It depends on how much damage was done. If it's relatively minor cosmetic and you're happy with a visible repair and the car was otherwise sound then it could be worthwhile but if there's any structural or serious suspension damage I'd take the payout. You could try for more, you don't get if you don't ask but I'd figure they'll offer between £800-£1200 depending on the condition of the car in general. This is the position you would've been in value wise before the accident. Not ideal but no one wins with the insurance industry.

And older diesels are now the "bad" boys that cities want to ban - which will drop their value even further.

It's a Euro 4 diesel so it's not as bad as some but I know anything prior to Euro 6 is deemed bad.

I'll see what the insurers come up with; I'm hoping it'll be today!

So it wasn't written off...

They said that there was previous poor repair to the bumper so they couldn't even repair it either.

They've offered me a sum of money but I'm not sure if it's going to be enough to repair it!

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - FP

"So it wasn't written off..."

Isn't "offering me a sum of money" the same as a write-off? Or am I missing something?

"So it wasn't written off..."

Isn't "offering me a sum of money" the same as a write-off? Or am I missing something?

No they've given me the car back still with the damage with the sum of approx. £600 to repair the vehicle myself.

If it was written off I'd get the full retail value of the car and not get it back; they've given me a half way house.

They said because of some lacquer peeling off the bumper (from where I had been using a jet wash, which is a common thing on Kia's) they believed that the bumper had been poorly repaired before (the lacquer peel is on the opposite side to the accident damage) that they couldn't repair it or guarantee the repair.

So hence this offer.

The damage is to the alloy wheel (apparently it's taken a direct hit in the accident) but no damage to the suspension as previously thought and a large dent to the front wheel arch that is not repairable and needs a whole new wing. Plus scratches all down the same side of the car. It looks really unsightly at the moment.

I'm thinking rather than getting it repaired to cut my losses and see what I can get for the car as it does need other money spending on it, for example it needs a new clutch and the air con has packed in for the 2nd time this year; plus it's due a major service and MOT in 6 weeks.

KIA Cee'd - Cash in lieu of repair - skidpan

If it was written off I'd get the full retail value of the car and not get it back

You don't get full retail when a car is written off. You get the minimum the insurers can get away with

I'm thinking rather than getting it repaired to cut my losses and see what I can get for the car as it does need other money spending on it, for example it needs a new clutch and the air con has packed in for the 2nd time this year; plus it's due a major service and MOT in 6 weeks.

Needing a new alloy, a new wing and paint, repairs to the bumper, scratches down one side repairing, a new clutch needed, the airc con repairing, a majpr service due and an MOT in 6 weeks the value of your car is practiically zero.

Put an honest add on e-bay and see what it goes for. But don't expect much.

How much did they offer and exactly what damage was done?

Deleted

Edited by RT on 13/07/2017 at 12:32

Deleted

Edited by RT on 13/07/2017 at 12:32