Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - kmberkshire

HI,

I have a Mazda5 2.0 diesel 2010 model. The MPV needs to be used on a daily basis for short journeys (1 mile or less) 3 or 4 times at different intervals during the day.

I have read that using diesels for short journeys causies problems with the car. Is that really true? If so, can I do anything (specific oil etc.) to mitigate the impact?

Many thanks in advance.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - hardway

Modern diesel have a "DPF" fitted into the exhaust system.

DPF stand for diesel particulate filter.

A very fine mesh which can and does become blocked with what amounts to soot.

And you kind of driving cycle is going to clog the DPF.

My advice would have been don't buy a diesel but as this is too late then it's going to have to be really driven and driven hard to get everything to the right temperature for the DPF to regenerate.

If I recall the renault Traffic cycle was drive at 4000 rpm for 60 miles so the regen would happen.

So I guess your answer is loan it to some teenager once a month to thrash it!!

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - Railroad.
I don't know what kind of answer you're hoping to hear, but the answer is use the car for decent runs regularly, or be prepared to dig deep in your pockets when you frequently take the car to the dealer to have the DPF force regenerated or replaced.
Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - RichardW

It takes 2 - 300 miles to fill the filter. A normal drive of about 20 miles should be enough to regen it. So as long as it gets a run out every 2 or 3 weeks it should be fine. If the warning light for unable to complete regen comes on then you need to take it out for a run to make sure the cycle completes.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - daveyjp

If this is from the era of the system which dumped fuel into the sump during regens the owner should check the oil every time they fill the car with fuel.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - Cyd

If this is from the era of the system which dumped fuel into the sump during regens the owner should check the oil every time they fill the car with fuel.

About every three months going on the quoted usage!!!

I would suggest once per week minimum.

Is that really true: Yes

Can I do anything … to mitigate the impact: No, IMO

Are you a gambler? Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose. A petrol powered vehicle is less likely to give problems under this type of usage cycle. However, this type of usage cycle would be regarded as SEVERE USE. I would suggest you consider having an engine preheater fitted. Simple models for DIY fit can be had from £100.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - Tester

Obviously I don't know your situation so please don't take this as any kind of criticism, but do you really need to use a car for journeys of a mile or less (which, as has been pointed out, would be severe use even for a petrol engine)? Is there any way to cut out at least some of them? Just a thought, since I know from my own experience that one can get 'stuck in a rut' of thinking a particular way about how to organize the day.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - skidpan

If I recall the renault Traffic cycle was drive at 4000 rpm for 60 miles so the regen would happen.

No manufacturer has ever recomended that kind of driving to regenerate a DPF.

The ones I have read in brochures for cars I have owned have all been "if the light flashes drive for 20 minutes at approx 40 mph"

But if I was the OP I would sell the car or change my lifestyle, that use will kill the car.

Mazda 5 - Using diesel MPV for short journeys - advise pl. - gordonbennet

If this is the same engine and DPF mismanagement as fitted to the 6 of the same age, it's arguably the very last Diesel that one should use in this fashion.

It might seem over the top, and regardless of whether the DPF blocks up or not, i'd be changing the oil twice a year or every 3k miles, whichever comes soonest with this usage if you carry on with this type of running.

This type of running is what hybrids thrive on.

. But if I was the OP I would ... change my lifestyle

I do worry about people who think they must use a car for going a mile.