I'm hiring a car in Australia - is it cheaper to buy collision waiver insurance through an independent insurer?

I have booked to hire a car in Australia and understand that it is cheaper to purchase collision damage waiver insurance through an independent insurer rather than through the hire company. Can you advise a company / companies who provide this type of insurance and give me some guidance about what I should look for?

Asked on 19 February 2018 by BAW

Answered by Honest John
Look at what type of insurance is being provided, is it just for the excess? I would also look to see what cover is provided in Australia and in the UK, as you need to make sure cover is provided bearing in mind it is a different continent. I cannot recommend a specific company but I would certainly go through an independent company rather than the car hire company.
Similar questions
Do I need an International Driving Permit to drive in Australia?
I'm hiring a car in Spain for 15 days at a price of €253. The hire company want €10 per day for comprehensive insurance, which is more than 50 per cent of the hire price. I can get an independent car hire...
How do rental car companies deal with the thousands of US tourists who drive on UK roads if insurance is so expensive?

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer