Is it unusual for a replacement DMF to last only 10,000 miles?

I had my clutch and DMF changed at Mr Clutch after the original one failed after 100,000 miles. The replacement lasted less than 10,000 miles, so Mr Clutch have now fitted a new replacement free of charge under their two year, 20,000-mile guarantee. The failed replacement had one spring that had punched its way through the flywheel, with another spring having signs of damaging the flywheel. Do you think the failure was due to bad parts, incorrect fitting or bad driving? The garage did not seem to know why the failure had happened. The car is a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CDI, which I use for towing a caravan on occasions.

Asked on 12 February 2018 by

Probably a duff part. I would guess that Mr Clutch uses aftermarket parts rather than OEM, but it's very good that they cover them for two years or 20,000 miles.