Diesel or Hybrid?

I have a Toyota Avensis 2.0 Diesel which is approaching 3 years old and 60,000 miles. I drive approximately 22,000 miles per year, including a daily commute of 36 miles each way mainly on single carriageway roads, for which I obtain 55.6mpg.

The diesel appears to be well suited for my requirements, but in view of the current political opinion against diesel I am considering other types of engine. In future years there may be less demand for diesel engines. Would a hybrid, such as a Toyota Prius, be suitable for my driving or would petrol be better? Are there any other considerations?

Yes, plain hybrid Prius or Auris HSD. Not a plug-in. For your sort of mileage a hybrid will be more efficient.