My car insurance has gone up following a claim - how can I reduce the cost?

I was recently responsible for a low speed collision when I reversed into another vehicle - my first blameworthy incident since 1967! I have just received my insurance quotation for next year (co-op insurance organised through the AA). Last year my premium for a 2015 Ford C-MAX was £334. For this coming year the premium has risen by 65% to £552. I know that you have reported that insurance rates have risen recently, and I suppose the recent claim hasn't helped, but a 65% increase seems ridiculous to me. What would you advise?

Asked on 17 November 2017 by honjohn

Did you have protected no claims? I am assuming not with that increase, as you will have lost three years bonus, and now have the increased risk attached to your policy. Shop around is the only advice I can provide...