I hit a road closure sign while parking - can I claim damage repair from the council?

I recently hit a road closure sign while parking, it was on a path with angle iron legs sticking out. It went into the nearside fog lamp, then scratched the wing, door and wing mirror. I've never seen the sign and feel that the damage caused was not my fault, do you think I could claim damage repair from the council or the contractor?

Asked on 24 July 2017 by Jim clark

Answered by Honest John
Unfortunately, you are completely at fault. It's your duty to make sure it is safe prior to manoeuvring.
Similar questions
I parked (engine off) in a lay-by to the side of a main road to drop off my passenger, who's 77 years old. I turned to the side to say goodbye, when he shouted to look out and I saw a car reversing at...
I clipped a parked car trying to squeeze past in a narrow street. Exchanged details after calling at a nearby house. Only got a name and mobile phone number as he said it was sort of a courtesy car whilst...
While I was at work someone hit my car in the car park. They've assumed liability and his insurance already contacted me. I have also contacted my insurance company in the meantime and started proceedings...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer