Should I get a hybrid or a diesel car to commute?

I do a 40 mile round trip every day with a mix of roads, including 70mph dual carriageway and a stretch of motorway for about 10 miles each way. Would a hybrid be suited to this driving? If no, I'm going to get the Peugeot 3008 diesel and give up looking at a hybrid. Whichever I get I'll be keeping for five years or so. Do you anticipate any toxic taxes or massive government interference to hike prices for diesel drivers?

For this type of use a diesel should be fine. The DPF will passively and actively regenerate. But the Ioniq hybrid, or a Niro or Auris hybrid would be cleaner and offer similar fuel economy. All of these best run on super grade petrol (or diesel) for the best economy and the least trouble. With 10,000,000 diesels on the road I don't anticipate tax hikes and with a broke government I don't think there will be a diesel scrappage scheme. However, non-EU6 diesels will increasingly be prohibited from entering city centres and possibly some 'eco friendly' tourist areas. If you are buying new, of course, it will be at least EU6b and maybe EU6c.