Why won't my insurer allow me to claim for fire damage to my Volvo V50?

I own a 2008 Volvo V50 1.6d. Whilst driving my car last week, I noticed an awful smell followed by thick smoke from under the dash. I pulled over and got out of the car and dialled 999. The fire brigade attended and made the vehicle safe. Although no actual flames could be seen, it was obvious that the car had been smouldering. The insurance company will not consider my claim for fire damage as their independent assessor said that the only damage was to the wiring loom. I'm now trying to investigate the matter myself and if I can prove there has been damage to other parts of the car by fire then I will try and claim again. Any advice?

Asked on 20 June 2017 by Rosina Coe

You are not covered for electrical defects or failure as part of the terms and conditions of your insurance contract. The vehicle will have been smouldering due to the wires getting hot and melting the plastic. Unfortunately you are not covered in this instance, though you have may have recourse from Volvo as I believe your vehicle may have been subject to a recall for this issue.