What should I buy as a new tow car?

I currently own a diesel 2013 Audi Avant A6. It's a 2.0 TDI 177PS for towing our relatively small Eriba Troll (1000kg). The A6 is used mainly for long trips so it only averages about 5000 miles a year. I am pleased with the economy, the looks and the internal space it affords. However, I would like to change the car at some point in the near future and wonder what I should get, bearing in mind all the bad press about oil burners. I like estates but not keen on the larger SUV type vehicles. I fear petrol cars for towing may not live up to the power and torque of diesel units. Also many of the manufacturers are using smaller engines. My budget for a new or second hand replacement is about £30,000.

Asked on 20 December 2016 by reevers

Skoda does a number of 2.0 TSI petrol versions of its new Superb hatchback and estate with increasing power outputs up to 276PS and the option of 4WD. That has the bulk to tow well and it's also a very good car: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/skoda/skoda-superb.../ and www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/skoda/skoda-superb.../