Buying a new car - how much should I pay for paintwork protection?

I am about to purchase a new Toyota Prius and the dealer is offering a treatment of Gen 3 glasscoat protection at an additional cost. Is there an advantage to having it done or are there better treatments elsewhere?

Asked on 22 November 2016 by ian walker

I don't know this treatment, but all paint now needs something because regulations mean it is water based, covered only by a thin coat of solvent based clearcoat lacquer. Worth £200; not more than £250. Costs the dealer less than £100, so anything else is commission.