Need an upmarket estate with low running costs

I'm in the market for a decent quality estate that will give excellent fuel economy. Ideally, I'd like a diesel, as I travel over 15,000 miles a year. However, I also want low running costs and good reliability. Three cars I've looked at more recently have been the Audi A4, BMW 318D/320D and the Volkswagen Passat. What would you recommend and why?

I ran a BMW 320dED for eight months and averaged 63mpg, which is the best I've ever done. I even saw 82mpg on the dash once on a 250 mile motorway journey. The 318d has less torque so means more gearchanges and isn't necessarily as economical. BMW diesel engines are chain cam. VAG's are belt cam and that means a new belt, water pump and tensioner every four years at about £600. That said, the Passat 2.0TDI 150 is very pleasant to drive.