My car is registered to someone else - how can I get it back?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I recently signed over the V5C (logbook) to my neighbour as she was going to insure and tax my car. However, we have now had a massive falling out and she won't sign it back until she has it in her possession, which I refuse to do.

I currently have all documentation regarding my vehicle and proof of purchase, I have now signed on her behalf in anger, and I'm now worried that I could get into serious trouble. I don't know what to do as she's already threatening me with the police and this is without her knowing I have actually signed it. What should I do?

Asked on 7 November 2016 by Emmstevey

Answered by Honest John
Go to the post office, get a form V62, fill it in with you as the registered keeper and send it off to the DVLA. But if the car is not taxed, MoT'd and insured it cannot be kept on the street and must be taken off the street and put on a SORN or you will face a big fine.
Similar questions
I bought a used car online. The seller said he was a trader and the car was advertised as a part-exchange, just MoT'd with a one year warranty. I booked to view it (80 miles away) over the weekend at his...
I've recently been battling the DVLA and collection agent about a car I sold in 2015. When sold, I filled out the V5C, had the buyer fill out their part and sign a receipt of sale. It was all addressed...
I bought a car from a dealer that didn't have the V5. I used a V62 to register and tax the car. The advert showed two previous owners, but I've now found out that it's had three previous keepers (all individuals,...

Ask Honest John

Value my car