Buying a used car for around £8000 - what would you recommend?

I am looking to buy a used car with a budget of about £8000 - what would you recommend?

I'm after something that looks stylish, inside and out if possible - with a fair bit of speed. I'm probably looking at a diesel as I do over 15k miles up and down the motorway each year - but will happily consider petrol if there is something in particular you think will suit.

Since I will most likely be buying in the New Year, I am after something built after 2013, but will go older if there is something you think will suit?

Asked on 31 October 2016 by Connor Suckling

A Honda Civic 1.8iVTEC. Current shape is capable of 45 - 48mph, which is almost as good as the 2.2iDTEC. But the 1.6iDTEC will do over 60mpg.