Are the new Volvo 2.0-litre engines any good?

I understand that Volvo has updated its D2 engine in the past year and its is no longer a 1.6 but it is a 2.0 engine. Is there any data on how this has affected the Real MPG of the V40 and V60 models?

Asked on 1 October 2016 by JR

Volvo now fits its own 2.0 litre petrol and diesel engines in varying power outputs from 120PS upwards. Unfortunately, Volvo's engine nomenclature is ridiculously confusing and that makes it impossible to differentiate in a databank like Real MPG where even the car's owners don't know if it's a 1.6 or a 2.0 litre or a Ford or a Volvo engine. However, I had a 184PS version of this engine in a S60 for six months soon after the launch and I can tell you that over about 8000 miles it averaged close to 60mpg, making it 2nd in economy only to the BMW 320dED that averaged 63mpg.