What are the advantages of low profile tyres?

I have bought a new Kia Sportage with a Spec 4 to obtain the sunroof and parking sensors all round. This spec only comes with 19-inch alloy wheels. As a result, the tyre profile is low, the ride over speed bumps and potholes is hard and damage to the allow wheels is more likely when parking next to a kerb. Just what are the advantages of these low profile tyres? Probably expensive or impossible to change to a smaller diameter with a higher profile?

Asked on 2 September 2016 by HBV

We didn't have too much of a problem testing the 1st Edition Sportage on the 19s and they helped give the 1.6T GDi GT line great steering and handling, but there is no reason why you can't change to 17-inch wheels with 60 profile tyres. I wouldn't go for the 16-inch wheels with 70 profile tyres because they will make the steering and handling a bit roly-poly: www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/kia/kia-sportage-2.../