Which performance Golf is best?

I am struggling to decide which quick Volkswagen Golf to buy. Unusually, the diesel-engined GTD costs £500 less than the admittedly quicker and probably sharper GTI. On the other hand, the GTD is a lot less thirsty and has lower emission levels also.

Both models are similarly finished inside and out. Maybe the deciding factor is that I drive fewer than 12000 miles a year, mostly journeys of 30 miles or less with a few longer trips thrown in. My head says GTD but my heart says GTI. What do you think? Of the two, is there a clear winner? Thank you.

Asked on 6 May 2016 by Robert Brown

Get the GTI, or a SEAT Cupra 290.