I need a four-wheel-drive SUV - Dacia Duster or Honda CR-V?

I do about 5000 miles a year, live in the country and require a 4-wheel-drive during snow conditions. You have mentioned the Dacia. Would I be better off buying a new Dacia or a 2-year-old Honda CR-V, particularly in terms of depreciation?

Asked on 5 January 2013 by LM, Milnathort, Kinross

The headline-grabbing £8995 Dacia Duster is only 2WD. The cheapest, very basic 4WD Dacia Duster petrol model is £10,995: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/duster-2012/.

For snow, 'winter tyres' on a front-wheel-drive car are more effective than standard tyres on a basic 4WD system. Obviously a two to four-year-old Honda CR-V 2.2iCTDI 4WD is a much more luxurious vehicle than a Dacia Duster. I can't predict Duster depreciation in the UK, but can tell you that it has held its value well in mainland Europe.