Can a seller opt out of statutory rights?

I have paid a small deposit to secure a 2007 Mazda 5; however, on reading the small print in the contract, there includes a "purchasers certificate of examination" which states that the seller will not be obliged to accept responsibility for any defect which should have been apparent at the point of sale.

Would I be signing away my statutory rights to accept this, or would the sale of goods act still apply if something significant turned out to be wrong?

It's cobblers, has no legal basis and would be thrown out by a court. It might even be considered a "denial of the purchaser's rights." If the person selling the car is in the business of selling cars, he remains liable for any defect that was present or could have been present on the date of sale for six months from the date of sale. Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/