What car for an older couple?

My parents are ready to sell their Y reg Ford Mondeo 1.8 with 58,000 miles and 06 model Honda Jazz 1.2 and buy one new car.

At 85 years old, seats, ride comfort and air con are their highest priorities.

They are considering a Ford Focus 1.6 and Honda Jazz 1.4. Friends have confused them by suggesting Citroen and Mazda for comfort. Can you help narrow down this selection. What do you feel about these choices and are they missing a trick?

Asked on 1 November 2011 by MR, Cheltenham.

The new Jazz from February 2011 is much more comfortable than Jazz used to be. That would be a good choice.