Warranty from small dealer?

My stepson recently purchased a 2007 Ford Focus that had been advertised on eBay by a private dealer (trading from home, but with trade plates, VAT registered etc). When I asked what warranty came with the car, he replied "None, you will have to buy your own." Is this correct, or is there an implied 3 month warranty covering at least major faults?

For information, the dealer in question is Kingsway Motors of Coalpit Heath, extract from eBay advert is as follows:

About Us Kingsway Motors established over 36 years in Kingswood, Bristol now at NE of Bristol A432. A home based internet only business open 9am-9pm 7 days a week. Call or e-mail for an appointment to view. Just enter 'Kingsway Motors Bristol' into Google maps for our exact location. Member of the Federation of Small Businesses.

If you pay a reasonable retail price for the car he has to guarantee it for 6 months. If you do a trader to trader deal, signing something that says you have bought the car to re-sell, then he doesn't. Law here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/