If I cancel my car insurance do I lose my no claims bonus?

We have two cars in the family, I am putting my one off the road on SORN and will cancel the insurance. I have 20+ years no claims at present, will I lose my no claims and have to start again when I put it back on the road?

Asked on 28 February 2022 by George Walker

Your no claims bonus is valid for up to 2 years after a policy has come to an end.

If you cancel the insurance you may be liable for a large fee. In some cases, this cancellation fee is greater than the outstanding balance of the policy. So I would urge you to check this before cancelling.