Why are so many car interiors dark and dreary?

I find it difficult to understand why so many car manufacturers only offer black/dark grey interiors, increasingly with black headlining. I think these are dreary and depressing when compared with models available in other countries and former times. I'm currently looking to replace my Kia Sportage First Edition and the choice is very limited. I would happily purchase another Kia but, as with so many other manufacturers, they no longer provide acceptable interiors. It seems that I only have the choice of Volvo XC40, Skoda Karoq and the new Hyundai Tucson (Ultimate trim only). It’s probably too much to hope that the new Nissan Qashqai will broaden my choices.

Asked on 11 February 2021 by geoffsueb

It's a matter of supply and demand. Car buyers generally prefer dark interiors – just like they prefer cars in dull exterior colours like black and silver! Dark interiors generally hide dirt well, age well and will be easy to resell in the future.