I do very low mileage. Should I get a diesel or hybrid?

I'm looking to change my car (petrol Nissan Qashqai) to an automatic as I do around 3000 miles a year, mostly town driving and the odd motorway trip. My wife is disabled with hip problems so I need something she would be able to get in and out of easily. I've been looking at a Skoda Superb diesel as it has loads of room in it for her and family. Also looking at a Toyota Prius as I was told a hybrid might be better for my mileage. Can you give me any advice as to what cars I should be looking at? Thanks for your help.

Asked on 9 February 2021 by Lee Hiller

Avoid diesels – they're not suited to low annual mileages or regular short journeys, so you'll only have trouble. A petrol or hybrid would be a better option. A crossover SUV like your Qashqai might be the best option for your wife to get in and out of. We'd recommend a Skoda Kamiq or the bigger Karoq. If you'd prefer a hybrid, consider a Kia Niro.