Do you want the Road Tax system to change? Do you have thoughts on the potential changes to the Road Tax system? | No thanks

Old for new

I have an 07-registered Mitsubishi Colt CZ1 (3dr, Black, Air Con, 18,000 miles, petrol, manual). I want to downgrade to something a little older say 2004/2003 (Nissan Micra, Honda Jazz) but would like to be able to get some cash back from the sale. I have been informed by two dealers that according to Glass' guide my car is worth £3.5k.
However I have seen dealers selling this year and model of car for around £6k. If dealers are making £3k, then surely it’s in my best interests to sell privately or would I get much in cash for sale only to dealer? Any advice would be gratefully received

Asked on 25 July 2009 by

Your plan is unlikely to work and is likely to lead to grief. An 07 Colt CXZ1 1.1 3-dr with a/c trade books at £4,075 this month, but they aren't very popular in the trade. I doubt you'd get more than £4k for it selling privately. Then you put your head in the lion’s mouth trying to buy something 3 years older for £1,000 less. Makes no sense.