Can you recommend a safe, economical car for driving in narrow lanes?

We currently have a BMW 5 Series on a lease. We drive around town and do a 60-minute motorway commute (roundtrip) each day. We’re moving to a rural cottage down narrow country lanes, but will still be doing the commute, so thinking of swapping the lease car to something cheaper. What car is good for narrow roads in winter. i.e. not too big, but still safe, economical and good to put a dog in the back?

Asked on 15 September 2020 by Sarah bell

How about a Volkswagen Golf Estate? It'll be spacious enough for your dog (with easy access) yet smaller (and cheaper) than your current 5 Series. Alternatively, a Honda Jazz could be a good option. It's smaller still but extremely versatile and the latest model uses a hybrid powertrain. The rugged Crosstar version might suit country life.