Why has DVLA has my passport and licence for two months?

I own a European driving license. I sent it and my passport as a proof of ID to DVLA two months ago in order to exchange my European driving license to a UK driving licence. It was supposed to take about three weeks for them to do this but since then I've has no news of it's return. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Asked on 16 July 2020 by Savvas

Unfortunately we've had a few similar reports of passports not being returned from DVLA since the coronavirus outbreak began. When asked, the DVLA told us it was working through a backlog of applications that built up when they had less staff during lockdown. I'm afraid we can't help beyond relaying that info, but as soon as there's an update we'll be reporting it. We expect things to move quicker as the year goes on and the lockdown eases (assuming we don't have another lockdown), but all you can do is wait until they return it. Please do let us know if/when you get it back though, the feedback is very helpful.
Tags: dvla