Why is the dealer trying to charge me £1800 just to identify a fault?

My MINI One had mechanical failure in March, just before lockdown. It was towed to the dealer that I bought it from, who quoted £1800 just to open the bonnet and say what was wrong! From reading various forums, this looks wildly disproportionate for a diagnostic check - especially from the dealer that we bought our second car from. The car was worth £6000 and we have £3000 finance to pay off, so I don't know whether to accept a derisory trade-in offer of £1500 or find someone else that might be able to fit a new engine at less than the value of the car.

Asked on 3 June 2020 by Dan Scott

That's ridiculous. Arrange for the car to be transported to an independent MINI specialist. The quality of the work will be just as good as the approved dealer and the costs with be much lower. You should be able to find a trustworthy mechanic with our Good Garage Guide: good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk
Tags: faults