When is the DVLA going to get back to me about my application?

Does anyone have any information or idea when DVLA will be open again? They must have an enormous backlog of mail. I sent in an application 12 March to change my 1979 classic car to Historic status for tax exemption. Two post offices refused to deal with it and it can't be done online, so technically it's not taxed. Although, it's insured and MOT'd. Icannot use the car until they deal with it and I get a reply. I've had to rent a garage to keep it off the road in the meantime. DVLA says a car can be used pending reply - but if it pinged up on an ANPR, I understand it would automatically generate a penalty notice. Imagine the hassle of appealing that.

Asked on 3 June 2020 by Denis K

We've made multiple attempts to speak to the DVLA, but to no avail. Annoyingly, it's a case of waiting til they respond to your application. They're likely still working with skeleton staff and working through the backlog of applications they received while they were prioritising key workers applications. The post office situation is because of coronavirus, the DVLA stopped taking paper applications in March.