Pots of money

Yesterday, my wife hit a pothole in a road. Her car now requires a new alloy wheel and tyre. How do we go about making a claim against the Council responsible for maintaining the road and what evidence/documentation do we need?

Asked on 29 May 2010 by DW, via email

Answered by Honest John
First you go to www.fixmystreet.co.uk and find out if the pothole
was already reported to the relevant council. If it had been and the council had done nothing about it for at least a week, then you may have a claim. If it hadn't been reported you don't have a claim, but you should still use www.fixmystreet.co.uk to report it. Basically a council cannot be expected to check every road for new potholes every day, and then fix them that day. But it can be expected to fix
reported potholes within a 'reasonable' time. The fact that a large number of speed humps and cushions have actually caused potholes is no excuse for the council. The council is directly liable for installing them and for any damage they cause.
Similar questions
I read with interest your article about road humps and tyres recently. I live in the lovely village of Ickleford and Hertfordshire Highways are about to install 11 road humps over less than a 1-mile stretch...
Something I never thought to see: A busy road in Stevenage that was well-humped for about 1/2 mile has just had them removed and those sections of the road resurfaced. So what was real penance for me to...
Attached are pictures of some incredibly bad speed cushions in Cardiff. I think they exemplify the type of badly maintained humps about which you rightly complain each week. Several cars passed very close...

Value my car

Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy

Get a warranty quote

Save 12% on GAP Insurance

Use HJ21 to save on an ALA policy

See offer