What's a good SUV for a drummer in a band?

My son is a drummer in a band and struggles getting all his kit into his current Skoda Fabia. Could you recommend an SUV that would be fairly economic to run (low tax and good fuel) if there is such a thing? It would probably have to be petrol or a non-DPF diesel as he only does about 9000 miles a year. His budget is about £5000. I have recommended he gets an estate car like a Skoda Octavia but he seems set on an SUV.

A Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV4 ought to be a reliable choice. Both are available with petrol engines, although they're not going to be particularly frugal to run (see here for an idea of Real MPG: www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/). Otherwise a Toyota Avensis Estate would be a very sensible (if slightly dull) choice.