We want a comfortable car for our retirement - what do you suggest?

I am looking for a retirement car. The vehicle should be comfortable - as we will do around 7k motorway miles a year - as well as having a practical boot for a dog. Overall mileage will be around 11k per annum. We have had Volvos for the last 20 years and currently have a V70 which is supremely comfortable but will be too big for our needs. The Volvo V40 boot doesn't work with our dog (big boot lip) and other Volvos are now too big and expensive. We have a budget of around £26k.

Asked on 12 April 2019 by David Hartford

Check out the new Ford Focus estate. Your budget will get you a high-spec model (you may even wish to stretch to a posh Vignale) and it's a really good car with a big boot and easy access. I suspect a petrol would be better suited to your mileage. Also, look at the very practical Skoda Octavia estate or Kia Ceed Sportswagon.