Which midsize saloons and 4x4s offer the most comfortable and quiet ride?

Although I am a similar age to Jeremy Clarkson, I do not share his passion for 200mph supercars with rock hard suspension and the ability to send my false teeth through the back of my neck upon accelerating. Which midsize saloons and 4x4s offer the most comfortable and quiet ride?

Asked on 18 January 2019 by Denis Kearney

Many Citroens put comfort ahead of sportiness. The new C5 Aircross is a good example of this - it's much more comfortable than firmer rivals like the Nissan Qashqai or Kia Sportage. The same could be said for Volvo - all its models favour comfort over driving dynamics. The Skoda Superb is another good option if you're after a comfortable car.