Can I insure my car with two different companies for a few weeks to allow my son to drive it?

My current motor insurer will not allow me to add my son as a named driver until he’s over 25. My son will be home for Christmas when he will be 24 years and 10 months. My insurance is due for renewal 9th Jan. Despite this could I take a policy out with a more amenable insurer from 20th December to cover my son? My car would be double insured for 3 weeks.

Asked on 15 October 2018 by Simon Heape

Answered by Tim Kelly
The easier way of doing it for your son to arrange insurance on your vehicle up till the point your policy lapses. You cannot have two insurance policies on the same vehicle in your name, as both could argue they are not paying out in the event of a claim and that the other insurer is liable.
Similar questions
I am organising my partners' comprehensive car insurance and I am the additional named driver. She has a part-time job, looking after two adults for 2-3 hrs twice a week. She gets paid by the hour, at...
Do I need to inform my insurer if I carry medicinal oxygen in my vehicle please?
I have fully comprehensive insurance and borrowed my dad's small - non-commercial van. I was pulled by the police and was given a penalty of £300 and six points on my licence. I was told I could not drive...

Ask Honest John

Value my car