I need help narrowing down my options for a car purchase?

I'm looking for a 4WD car to tow two large horses, so towing capacity must not be less than 2.5 tonnes. I travel some 12,500 miles per year, most of it towing and usually reasonable distances (100 miles +), so I want something comfortable too. I find the process of narrowing down my options bewildering, but am trying to compare value for money and fuel economy. I wish to buy new or nearly new. My must haves are the towing capacity, heated front seats, reversing camera, parking sensors, Bluetooth, digital radio and in-built sat nav. I wonder if you could give your recommendations.

Asked on 14 September 2018 by Carrie Payne

The Kia Sorento has a towing capacity of 2.5 tonnes if you spec the manual gearbox. It's a popular choice for towing and is well equipped - all models bar the entry-level KX-1 will meet your requirements. Review here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/kia/sorento-2015/).

Alternatively, the Toyota Land Cruiser (www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/land-cruiser-.../) is one of the best tow cars on the market, capable of lugging 3 tonnes. It's old school, though - while you'll be able to get one with your required equipment, it feels old-fashioned and won't be as frugal as the Kia.