Our SEAT Leon DSG has had two clutch replacements, should we sell it before the warranty period ends?

My mother bought a SEAT Leon 1.2 TSI DSG new in July 2015. A new clutch was fitted in July 2016 under warranty, and new clutches are now being fitted again in June 2018 under warranty. I'm aware of the DSG issues in Volkswagen Group cars, but I'm unsure what to advise her given that the three-year warranty is about to expire. She was planning to keep the car for six or seven years. Given the issues, should she buy an extended warranty or sell it?

Asked on 10 June 2018 by

If this issue has already occurred twice in three years then it will almost inevitably happen again. Might be something to do with the way she is driving the car. If she does very little mileage and the engine stop/start system rarely works, then sitting on the brakes instead of shifting to neutral at traffic lights will create wear on the clutch pack. Better for her to switch to a torque converter auto, as is fitted to all Mazda and some Suzuki - such as the Baleno, Swift and Vitara.