Volvo XC60 - Clutch issue - fuchsiasteve
We purchased a used approved Volvo XC60 from a Volvo main dealer 10 months ago. The car had covered 14,600 miles. We thought buying from a main dealer would give us protection should any mechanical failures occur. The car has a 3 year of 60'000 mile manufacturers warranty which expires this September. 2 weeks ago we discovered the clutch was starting to slip (at 24'000 miles) and reported to our local dealer who advised that it was a grey area and that inspection would cost £600 if the damage to the clutch friction plates was deemed to be through abuse ie poor driving.

I took the issue up with Volvo uk who are simply not interested in helping to resolve the issue under their warranty.

To make matters worse we only discovered a few months after ownership that the vehicle had been registered to a British army personnel abroad in Germany and that it had been brought back and then registered on British plates. In 20 years driving neither my wife or I have had any clutch issues with any vehicle we have previously owned. The volvo dealer salesman at no point during the sale made us aware of the vehicles unusual previous history.

Where do I stand regarding this issue? Should I seek legal advice or just get the vehicle repaired at my own cost and put it down to bad experience?

Many thanks
Volvo XC60 - Clutch issue - pd

The ownership history isn't that unusual and in fact used to be very common when there were more personnel in Germany. All manufacturers actually have special schemes to do it.

As for the clutch, if you do get it done make sure you retain the clutch plate and check if it is physically worn. If it has actually worn out then you may not have much recourse but it might be because fluid is leaking onto it or similar in which case you should persue Volvo for the costs.