Skoda Fabia vRS - Admiral Insurance write off - 250kts

At the begiining of December, had a light front end shunt, which caused repairable damage. Yesterday the Authorised repair centre gave a quote for £2446.08.

As Admiral had agreed to pay up to £2400 for repairs the car has now been written off. They have offered £2200, for the vehicle, having found one for sale in the local area for £3500 and have arranged for a scrap dealer to pick it up. The valuation is well below book value and I thought until we agree a value, the vehicle is my property?

I even offered to pay for the extra £46.08 and Admiral told me they cannot legally allow me to pay for any part of the repairs and they will not allow me to purchase the vehicle form them following the write off.

Advice please ....

Steve

Skoda Fabia vRS - Admiral Insurance write off - Cris_on_the_gas

Go down the dealer, tell him your "holding the folding" having just got a cash payment from your insurance company and offer him £2200 for the Fabia.

Shut up, drink his coffee then walk out.

Bet he follows you !!!

Skoda Fabia vRS - Admiral Insurance write off - dacouch

If Admiral have passed the car to a salvage company then you need to read this as it will apply to you.

"

16. salvage of the "written-off" vehicle and contents

Once the policyholder accepts payment of the full market value, the insurer becomes the owner of the salvage. If the policyholder asks to keep the salvage, the insurer is entitled to deduct what it would have been able to sell the salvage for. This is usually not very much.

But what if the policyholder complains that the insurer (or its agent) disposed of the salvage before paying the full market-value? At this stage, the vehicle still belongs to the policyholder, and we take the view that the insurer should not have disposed of it without first obtaining the policyholder’s consent to the settlement of the claim – even if the insurer said it was only acting in the public interest by keeping a badly-damaged vehicle off the roads. In such circumstances, and unless the insurer returns the salvage, we usually award the policyholder compensation for inconvenience.

If the policyholder had personal belongings in the vehicle when the insurer disposed of it without consent, we are likely to award the cost of replacing these – usually on a like-for-like (rather than a new-for-old) basis."

Have a good read of this link from the Insurance Ombudsman which will help you negoiate the value of your car and also has the above section.

tinyurl.com/b5d2y2h

Skoda Fabia vRS - Admiral Insurance write off - 250kts

Thanks for the link, very useful

Regards