SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - Cyd

Having recently moved into Saab ownership (9-3 Aero, 2007, with Maptun st1 tune), I have taken HJs advice about the oil feed to the cam chain requiring frequent oil changes to heart and have performed 3 changes with flush in the 10k I've done in it so far.

At the last change I decided to go for a K&N oil filter (previously using Motaquip).

Whilst waiting on delivery of the K&N I bought a Mann and Hummel HU69 from my local factors, which I used for the flushing.

When the K&N arrived I changed the oil filter over. However, whilst I had both filters on the bench it was obvious even at first glance that these two filters looked identical. So I compared the two filters very carefully. Even down to tooling marks on the plastic parts, these two filters appear to be identical. It is worth noting that the Motaquip filter is completely different to the others in the way it is constructed.

So, does anyone out there in HJLand know if K&N oil filters are just M&H ones rebranded? If yes, then I'm going to use M&H in the future as I can get them for a fiver each compared to a tenner for K&N.

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - unthrottled

K&N is a brand. An unpleasant and dishonest brand. They don't make their own oil filters. They buy a job-lot in and sell them as their own-with a suitable mark-up of course.

Any evidence for that second sentence?

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - skidpan

Most filters on the market are brands. Most are made by one of a few actual manufacturers. Vehicle manufacturers don't make their own filters, they buy them in with their name on.

When I do my own vehicle servicing I try and get OEM filters, they are not much more expensive than the aftermarket ones and you know you are getting a filter that is exactly like the manufacturer intended.

As for price, well if I ain't happy I don'y buy it.

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - unthrottled

Sorry if it sounds vitriolic but their claims regardings air filters are frankly dishonest.

K & N claim that paper air filters cause a marked pressure drop and that their oil soaked mesh filters will liberate significant amonts of extra power.

Any filter capable of filtering will have a pressure drop. The pressure drop across a clean paper filter, in absolute terms, is tiny. A small price to pay for adequate filtering of air-something oil soaked mesh will not do properly.

K & N are always careful to remove the stock air filter housing when running dynomometer comparisons. This is where the bulk of the restriction normally lies. A cone on a stick works fine with the bonnet open and a 30hp industrial fan blowing cold air into the engine bay

In the real world, a cone on a stick, takes in hot air from the engine bay and doesn't filter it properly.

OEM air filters haven't evolved much because they do their job very well. K &N use deceit to try to convince people otherwise.

I would agree with most of that.

I used K&N air filters on fast road and rally cars for years. The main advantage was being able to do away with the airbox and being able to clean them between events (especially dusty stage rallys in the summer).

I have a Maptun, oiled filter in the airbox on my Saab Aero. it may have liberated a mouse power or two, but the big advantage is that it can be cleaned rather than replaced, so by the time I've had the car 12 years or so it'll have worked out cheaper. It is worthy of note that the standard air filter for my Saab has a steel 'mesh' behind the element with holes for the air to pass through - the Maptun does not and so should yield some small improvement.

As you say, power increases will only come by modifying or scrapping restrictive air intakes (I've removed the stupid swan neck thing from my Saab). But this will result in an increase in intake noise in most cases.

I think that if you read K&Ns marketing material very carefully, they don't actually make any 'wild' claims, but the wording is very "persuasive".

For their oil filters, they do make some specific performance claims with regard to particle size that can be trapped etc. But as I no longer work in auto R&D I cannot check their claims against OE specs. They do, however, "seem" to be claiming that their filters are better than OE requirements for particle entrapment and flow. Although M&H are an excellent brand, I am currently persuaded by the evidence of my own eyes that it is their filter that has been rebranded as K&N and as such think it is disengenuous of K&N. You can't blame H&M for selling their (excellent) product to them.

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - Collos25

All you needed to know about K&N,

The graphs at the end sum K&N up "Rubbish"

www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - gordonbennet

I get M&H filters as well as other good quality aftermarket service parts from my local factors, never get a moments problem with them.

Found out a long time ago that not filters as with other parts are not all equal, some time spent trying to prime a new Diesel fuel filter had me removing it only to find the area around the seal was badly stamped, this was one of the usual accessory shop dross brands.

OE is obviously the best choice but some main dealers have made their parts dept something of a chore these days to say the least, can't be bothered spending 20 minutes whilst they make a mountain out of a molehill....bring back the proper dedicated parts dept with a knowedgeable storeman in a dark blue smock behind a huge robust counter who knew most of the parts off by heart and which parts could be interchanged or overhauled/rebuilt...i get the feeling some makes and dealers would prefer to do away with a publicly available parts dept altogether, thats fine won't be darkening your doorstep again.

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - Collos25

I know what you mean you go in for a common part it goes through computers takes forever you come out with the part a mountain of paper 30 mins later or they do have it in stock come back tomorrow.

SAAB 9-3 - Performance Oil Filters - K&N vs Mann - madf

I buy OE Toyota filters on ebay from a Toyota dealer.

Cheaper, much more coneneenient and saves a 20 mile round trip to our local dealer.

No brainer.