motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - jamie-tatt

my insurance company are cancelling my motor trade poilicy as they now say im carrying out prohibited activities, (car dismantling) they didnt ask if i was doing it when i took out the policy so i wasnt to know it was prohibited. they say i should have told them, i answered all questions asked of me at the time but they didnt ask if i was involved in dismantling, am i to be expected to know the dos and donts of each particular insurance companys policies? can i do anything?

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Armitage Shanks {p}

Any insurance policy has terms and conditions, in writing, which you accept but with a 14 day cooling off period. Highly likely that these run to many pages of gobbledy gook and 99% of us don't read them right through but they are there and I guess your "Prohibited Activity" is mentioned in there somewhere

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Falkirk Bairn

Car dealer / car repairer is completely different from "car dismantler" or scrappy.

In the insurance industry there are certain occupationsthat are avoided or the few companies that do cover them charge ultra high premiums

Journalists, Publicans, Professional Footballers, actors, .....and scrap dealers to name a few.

thanks for your input guys, allways good to have points raised to concider.

I did in fact refer to the Ts and Cs prior to breaking the car, it is just one single car that could not be repaired so was listed on ebay as breaking, i am by no means a car dismantler or scrappy. There is no mention of this being a prohibited activity. during a phone call today they even agreed that it is not listed in the Ts and Cs. also they agreed after listening to the recording i was not asked if it was something i do. surely something that would carry an instant cancellation with no warning shot or anything would be on the list of regularly asked questions when taking out the policy.

but they still say i should have checked with them, I thaught that what Ts and Cs where there for. the cancellation stands .They are trying to use other reasons now tho, they now say my NCD is invalid but wont tell me why, they say that copies of invoices in and out are not sufficient proof of trading. but this was only raised during the call today and not in previous calls.

am seeking legal advice now so fingers crossed.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Collos25

Insurance companies do not turn money away without good reason.

thats not really a constructive comment is it? im asking for advice and help here.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - dieselnut

I would raise an official complaint with the insurance co, either in writing or through their website, stating the facts clearly. It will then get investigated properly. If you're not satisfied with the outcome you can then take your complant to the insurance ombudsman .

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Bromptonaut

Did this happen out of the blue or as there been a claim Jamie?

Insurer behaviour suggests they're looking for a reason to repudiate.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - tony g
Hi Jamie ,
I'm just looking at renewing my car trade insurance ,it's getting expensive ,up from £700 to £1100 for 2013 .

Thinking about your problem ,the people I've been asking for quotes have all asked what I will be doing within the car trade ,buying and selling ,repairing ,etc .
I wonder if you declared that you were repairing and then they found out you were dismantling . That would give you a problem .
motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Collos25

The OP has given us the facts as he sees them not as the insurance company sees them if he broke the terms and conditions which he signed for then they have everyright to remove the insurance policy.

You have in your own words broken one of the stipulations on the policy you consider it to be only one car the insurance company does not know that and therefore acts on information it receives.

You should have resold the car as scrap or as seen to comply with their rules, to dismantle a car or sell in parts then you need umpteen licences and premises inspection from the various bodies and a different form of insurance.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - tdc

Hope the OP gets it sorted,bit mean for just breaking one vehicle.

Do you reckon we`ll end up like Germany eventually......I was told twenty years ago by German individuals that they were unable to buy second-hand spares in their country.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Rachaelink

I assume that they are not cancelling from inception and are rather just refusing to continue their cover?

A car dealer requires specific underwriting consideration, a breaker/scrappage yard is more often than not an out and out decline. Sadly there are often some unscrupulous folks running these business and insurers wish to avoid them.

In terms of doing it once.. what is to stop you doing it again? I assume this will be their reason for cancellation. It may not specifically be in the terms and conditions regarding scrapping, however it will be part of their underwriting criteria. They will see this as a material fact that needed to be disclosed.

How did it come to light in the first instance?

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - renorti

they caught me out! sent invoices for recovery truck i use,on one invoice i collected a car from the local racing circuit car park to return it home, and insurance say that as i take cars to racing circuits it's an unacceptable risk. cancelled/lost all my previous 14yrs no claims.would't say why it was a risk,i don't even go near circuits ,this was a broken down car in the car park ,not a race or track day car just a spectators car,no reasoning at all with them.

motor trade policy being cancelled unfairly - Palcouk

Then complain to the insurance company in the first instance, as vehicle a spectators private car