Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - hatman

I've been considering buying a Corsa that was previously an ex police car. The dealer selling the car states that there is 6 months tax but no disc - does this mean I can purchase a duplicate tax disc from the post office for their admin charge or will I have to buy my own tax from scratch as the previous tax will only apply to a police car. Am I right in assuming that all police vehicles have free road tax so this will not be able to be used by the next private owner?

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - jamie745

Government vehicles including Police cars are exempt from the tax and only display the disc (valued at £0.00) because it's an offence not to. Also it stops crims saying 'well you haven't got a tax disc!'

If it's no longer owned by the Police force and is being used as a private vehicle then I seriously doubt it's legal to use it on Police exempt tax.

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - Dwight Van Driver

As Jamie sez..... Plod vehicle is exempt tax as a vehicle used for police purposes. This exemption is lost when vehicle used for private -purposes .

Re tax needed when purchased. Get Garage to slap 6 months on it thermselves as condition of sale.

dvd

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - Chris M

Same as buying an ex Motability car, you have to get the vehicle re-classified. You'll have to check, but when I did it a couple of years ago, it was a trip to local licensing centre or by post with DVLA. Easy enough process that shouldn't put you off if it's the car you want.

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - bathtub tom

>>The dealer selling the car states that there is 6 months tax but no disc

Sorry Tony G, but the used car trade does themselves no favours with tales like this. The dealer should be fully aware of the procedures required and not make misleading statements just to procure a sale.

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - Collos25

I hope the car is cheap.

Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - wafer
Police service vehicles will have taxation class police and so for private use need to be changed to private light goods. Just in the same as a mutability car will be in the disabled tax class.

If the vehicle is not direct from the police this tax class change will usually have been done.
Vauxhall Corsa - Will ex police car road tax be valid for private - tony g
(Sorry Tony G, but the used car trade does themselves no favours with tales like this. The dealer should be fully aware of the procedures required and not make misleading statements just to procure a sale.)

Bt ,couldn't agree more ,not something I would recommend .particularly as a dealer would be liable for a buyers costs of recovery from a compound etc ,when the car is seized.

Tony g