Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - Prism

Basically my insurance is due for renewal in 2 days.

The renewal quote they sent me was confusing because they quoted one for 4 years no claims and one for 5 years no claims depending on if I wanted to protect it or not. I called up and asked which applied as the accident I had was in 2008, so the 5 years didn't make sense.

The man said we don't have this on our system that you had an accident then put me on hold for ages. I eventually hung up. When I called back to find out what was happening they said they had added £64 to my premium as it was undercalculated due to me not telling them about this accident. They said failure to pay would lead to cancellation of my insurance.

Now, I'm not sure how they didn't have this information as I sent them my no claims proof letter from last insurance company and I clearly am not withholding information as I called up to ask why this was saying 5 years when my accident with 2008. Perhaps there was a problem with system and it didn't register as I took policy out online or I missed it or what, but the information is all online and available. The woman said, we don't check all the applications, you kept this from us - but surely that is then their fault not mine?

I want to know, should I bother paying this as my insurance with them expires in 2 days anyway and I will probably go elsewhere. Will this show up as a black mark against me and bad credit or something? Any advice appreciated please!

Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - unthrottled

A common question in the application for insurance is "have you ever had a policy cancelled?" It's not something you want to have to declare.

For the sake of £64 I'd be tempted to keep my record clean.

I sent them my no claims proof letter from last insurance company and I clearly am not withholding information

The fact that you have 5 years' NCD is not synonymous with not having had a claim in five years. These are two seperate questions:

1.) How many years NCD do you have?

2.) have you made a claim in the last 5 years?

You told the truth with the first question, but not the whole truth!

Hmm, good point. Guess I'll have to pay it then.

I actually didn't make a claim, the other party claimed against me. I have 4 years NCD, which is why when they put 5, I was confused and called to query it.

Thanks for the advice.

It's the same thing. Essentially you instructed your insurance company to settle the claim against you.

You don't have to pay-I can't see them pursuing you through small claims for the extra premium. But when I switched insurers recently, the very first question they asked me was "have you ever had insurance cover cancelled?" If my answer had been affirmative, the application process would have ended there. It's not something I had ever really considered before.

I do sympathise. I've had quarrels with a previous insurer over NCD and felt hard done by. But insurers share information and they can cause you a lot of pain.

I'd give them the £64 and take your next premium elsewhere. With 4 years' NCD, there are plenty of companies who'll give you a decent quote.

Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - thunderbird
I have just answered this in legal matters, another muppet who is not happy posting a question once in one place.
Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - jamie745

£64 is a lot of money. Could buy unthrottleds car for that.

Not quite. The insurance co. value it a princely £170. 12 months tax is £215. Anyone else have the dubious honour of having a car with a monetary value less than the tax disc?

Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - jamie745

When I renewed the tax on mine this year it was £475. Stop complaining.

Car insurance miscalculated, want me to pay more - bathtub tom

>> Anyone else have the dubious honour of having a car with a monetary value less than the tax disc?

My KIA Pride's RFL: £135

Car cost £50 2007.

Sorry Thunderbird, first time on here, wasn't sure if I would get a reply. Will post just once next time. Thanks for your advice.

In the end Kwikfit wrote off the £64 as they autorenewed my insurance for over £2,000 and charged my card without me agreeing. I have renewed with them at a more reasonable premium of £430 now exc legal and with protected no claims just because I got tired looking around and getting confused with all the different technicalities. Thanks all for the advice. I am a muppet when it comes to this kind of stuff and am a bit broke right now to just dish out money to corporations.