VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Can You Trust Volkswagen Deale

I'd like share with you an issue I've had with two Volkswagen dealerships in the space of 4 months in regards to purchasing a "used approved" car. I believe serious breaches of OFT regulations have occurred and the dealerships are simply either ignorant of these, or not bothered. Something must be done to protect the consumer, and force car dealerships to act according to the law.

On 18/07/2012 I purchased a VW Golf from an official VW dealer in the Buckinghamshire area. When I purchased the vehicle I asked about the history of the car. I was told it was a "one owner" vehicle. Upon delivery of the vehicle I noticed the vehicle's passenger off-side door was showing very bad paint fade and scratches in the sunlight, which only seemed more obvious in brighter light. In addition to this on closer inspection the bumper appeared to be badly aligned with an uneven gap, which seemed likely to be a sign of previous frontal damage. I returned the following day to have these issues looked at. Obviously this was of great inconvenience, having to return a long distance to sort out issues that should have sorted before collection.

A few weeks after owning the vehicle I became dissatisfied with the performance of the car and the engine was making occasional strange mechanical noises. I requested to exchange the car under VW's "30 day exchange". This exchange is advertised in VW's national website. The dealership rejected my request to change the car. I protested and pointed out that the website clearly said that cars could be exchanged for any reason, even if the person changed their mind about the car. The dealer said this exchange was only applicable in the event of mechanical issues (i.e. car breaking down), as it cost them money to run the scheme.

I had to go through the inconvenience of ringing VW customer services to get a VW dealer just to honour their own policy. The dealership even tried to "rip" me off by offering to take my vehicle in at a part-exchange value, which would have meant losing nearly £2500 is a space of 2 weeks. Obviously a great con tactic! I asked why the loss was so great the sales manager replied this was due to a further owner showing on the DVLA logbook. I now find this ironic considering it latter emerged that the dealership was selling me ex-rental stock, that before me the vehicle would have had many different users driving it at different conditions, yet this did not affect its value.

So here to the main point of the story. Around this time I then received the DVLA log book showing the car to be an ex-rental car. I was very disappointed at receiving this information as I was clearly told the vehicle was clearly 1 previous owner. I felt this misled me, at no point was I made aware that I was purchasing an ex-rental car which would have had many different users. Had I been aware that I may be buying an ex-rental car I would purchased a Golf at a much cheaper price from "Arthur Daley" down the road, therefore, saving my paying a premium price at a VW dealership. I made a complaint to VW finance, as I purchased the car on their finance package. I also complained to the Trading Standards and the Financial Ombudsman. After the threat of legal action the dealer accepted to have the car returned, and the finance HP agreement cancelled.

Unfortunately, I have made the regrettable decision of trusting the integrity of a VW dealer again. After 3 weeks of returning my vehicle I went to other VW dealership to find a replacement car. On 10/09/2012 I went to VW dealer in the Essex. On viewing the vehicle this latest vehicle, the one I currently one own, I was immediately concerned. When I first viewed the vehicle the condition of the vehicle was very poor. The plastic trim around the rear offside passenger side door area was in a poor state. Large areas of the rear passenger side trim were badly marked and faded. In addition to this the cloth headlining appears to be torn in a deliberate fashion. I was told this was the reason the vehicle was priced at £8295. I was immediately concerned about the car and I asked if it was an ex-private or ex-company/rental car. I was clearly told the vehicle was an ex-private car.

Having travelled up by train, against costing me money and time I was beginning to regret arriving at another VW dealership. However, against my instincts I decided to stay loyal to the VW brand. On the 18/09/2012 I arrived at the latest VW dealer at around 1100hrs. I went through the handover and completed the finance documents. I was then taken to the vehicle and handed over the keys.

In anticipation of my issues with the previous VW dealer being finally resolved I started the vehicle. As soon as I turned on the ignition a serious engine lamp alert appeared. I went immediately back into the showroom to bring this to the finance manager’s attention. It was discovered that a serious issue had occurred and the technician needed to check the vehicle. After an hour or so of inspection it was decided the vehicle was suitable to drive. However, this caused me to be late for work. Unfortunately due to being late for work I could not afford to reject the vehicle so decided to give the dealership the benefit of the doubt. I spent about 30 minutes expressing my concerns to the head technician!

Since having the vehicle I have encountered problems with the vehicle where it had a serious lack of power. Whilst driving the vehicle it would struggle, and at times almost appear on verge of stalling. On one occasion whilst travelling the vehicle almost cut out in front of oncoming traffic. As I rely on my car to take my young baby around this could have been a serious situation. After this scare I decided to book the vehicle into a VW dealership for an inspection. The dealership carried out some repairs which were the believed cause of the issues. The dealership stated certain parts were not replaced in line with recommended schedules, and they could not give me a reason why this hadn't been done before I collected the vehicle from the purchasing dealership. In addition to this the air condition provides a very unpleasant smell when turned on. I have also recently had to pay to get the a/c unit cleaned.

I then received the DVLA logbook which again showed my current vehicle to be an ex-rental vehicle, ironically the previous owner being the exactly same owner as previous vehicle. A case of lightning striking twice!

I was under the impression that purchasing a vehicle from a VW dealership would give the customer “peace of mind” and a guarantee of checks being completed. I believe the national VW website quotes something similar to this. Unfortunately, for the second time in the space of nearly four months I have encountered the complete opposite.

This is not the first time I have encountered poor VW customer service. This is new the third time in space of four years I've had to return a car to a VW dealership. Previously I purchased a VW Passat in 2010. After nearly a month the turbo diesel needed replacing. I was left without a vehicle for nearly a month having to pay taxi costs for my pregnant wife and travel around on public transport. At no time was I offered any apologies on that occasion, and VW failed to provide a courtesy vehicle. Therefore, as you may understand this latest experience with Volkswagen UK is very frustrating. This is now the THIRD problem I have had with a purchasing a VW “approved” car.

Unfortunately being a loyal VW customer appears seems not to count for much. At the very least I would expect to be treated fairly, and be given “peace of mind"

So I feel potential customers need to be aware of the problems they may encounter at VW dealers.

* Lack of honesty and integrity:

Put simply they will lie to you. The honesty and integrity of both dealerships have questionable. The have already admitted they lied to me with the sale of the first vehicle. When I returned to take the first vehicle back I questioned why they were selling ex-rental cars and openly admitted that they had a relationship with Zip car, hence buying their used stock from auctions and “ripping” people off. When asking the dealer about the history of the vehicle I was told it was a private vehicle, at no point was it disclosed the vehicle was an ex-rental. This is an offence under OFT guidelines, and if you look on the OFT’s website they state this is breaking the law.

* Vehicles that are in poor condition and not checked

The vehicle was not of satisfactory mechanical quality due to issues with the vehicle when I collected on the 18th September, and shortly after. In addition to this it was potentially dangerous due to correct maintenance not being carried out on it, therefore causing a problem with engine performance. On many occasions the vehicle failed to provide enough power to move off at junctions and roundabouts, a problem which became progressively worse to the point of not being able to rely on the vehicle. On one occasion the vehicle almost stalled in front of oncoming traffic. This could have posed a serious risk to safety of my young baby.

* Fraud

Quite simply they will ignore their own "approved used promises" and lie to you. If you try to use the exchange policy the will try to "rip" you off by saying they "ll buy your car back at a part-ex valuation. In my case they tried to de-fraud me out of nearly £2500. A matter I am still considering reporting to the Police.

If anyone wishes to refer to how car dealerships should act then the two important documents are on the OFT’s website, these are: Checklist for second hand car dealers - Complying with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) and the second being the Guidance for second hand car dealers - Compliance with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - bathtub tom

I fail to see what this person's complaining about. They appear to have entered into agreements without checking the first vehicle and continuing to buy the second despite misgivings about its condition.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - injection doc

Couldnt agree more bathtubtom

Your daft to go travelling around the country to buy a car ! buy local or leave alone & if a deal seems to good to be true it usually is !

He failed at the first point ! when you buy a car even if its one owner , make sure its not an ex hire or demo.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - TR7

F.A.O Injection Doc Errr... not everyone has a dealer on their doorstep

Edited by pkqpr on 26/11/2012 at 20:17

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Collos25

I thought people liked this only appeared in fiction what a pl,,,,,,,,

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - galileo

Why would anyone go to so much trouble to buy a VW when there are so many other makes of equal quality and with dealers of higher integrity?

VW/Audi are overpriced for what they are, their dealers often arrogant and unhelpful.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - RT

Errr... not everyone has a dealer on their doorstep

The OP quoted 2 dealers in the Home Counties - not really a spa***ly-populated area with few dealers.

The OP quoted 2 dealers in the Home Counties - not really a spa***ly-populated area with few dealers.

The forum's censor-engine really needs fine tuning !

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - tony g

( Quite simply they will ignore their own "approved used promises" and lie to you. If you try to use the exchange policy the will try to "rip" you off by saying they "ll buy your car back at a part-ex valuation. In my case they tried to de-fraud me out of nearly £2500. A matter I am still considering reporting to the Police. )

The above is not fraud ,you would be wasting your time and the polices time reporting it .

Taking your post at face value ,why would you go through the same nightmare three times ?

To get the quality of car you want you need to buy new ,perhaps buying a car on a pcp to get the monthly cost down .

Tony g
VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Avant

Welcome to the forum - but I'm afraid yo may not get much sympathy, especially in respect of your second purchase.

You say "When I first viewed the vehicle the condition of the vehicle was very poor." There are are plenty of Golfs of all ages to be had, and if you weren't happy with this one you should have gone elsewhere. Buying a car is like overtaking - if in doubt, don't.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - madf

I am afraid someone who does not inspect a used car before purchase is reckless.

Someone who complains about a VW dealer's lack of ethics and then buys a car from another VW dealer is not only reckless but incapable in my view of learning from past mistakes.

Someone who then posts a very very LONG note about it when they have legal redress - which they ahve ignored - is wasting their time.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - gordonbennet

Have to agree with the others, buying one car without checking it or its history is an understandable oversight if you mistakenly thought you'd bought into quality or open honesty.

Making the same mistake again is reckless to say the least.

A little time spent online before purchase would have enlightened you to the attitude prevalent in certain marques dealers, indeed to the attitude of the maker when their cars fail once warranty is out, or to certain parts that are not covered for full warranty.

A sales person isn't going to volunteer information that he's misleading you (or should i say being coy) about things like previous ownership, sales people passing ex renters off to those not in the know is as old as the hills...nothing wrong with an ex renter as such mind so long as its priced accordingly and the buyer is aware of the increased risks...of previous misfuelling of Diesels for example, and a salesman isn't going to put doubts in your mind when you're in his clutches in the showroom, thats not how he makes money.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/11/2012 at 22:32

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - bathtub tom

To buy one duff VW, may be regarded as a misfortune; to buy two looks like carelessness.

Apologies to Oscar Wilde.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Collos25

I am sure Oscar will understand.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Dabooka

To buy one duff VW, may be regarded as a misfortune; to buy two looks like carelessness.

Apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Not twice but thrice; this is the third in 5 yrs, so I can only assume that the VW badge must be really coveted.

OP I appreciate it's frustrating, but for the love of all that is holy too much of this tale of woe is self inflcited. Why keep going back? I have an 15 month old who's already learned not to keep sticking his fingers into drawers, doors, and to avoid the cat that is black.

Best of luck in getting it resolved to a satisfactory level for you, but walk away from VW and mark it down as experience LEARNED

Edited by Dabooka on 27/11/2012 at 11:28

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - bear807
If the car condition wasn't good at first place, I bet no matter who owned it, everyone here will not touch the car, because is lack of care. I bought a used vw few months ago in staffordshire dealer, my experience is good. I choose the car I like, negotiate abit, look around the bodywork carefully, try to spot and fault to lower the price. Take it out for a test drive pay particular attention to any noise, read the logbook, check for receipts if necessary if you ask, they even told me is a old women owner. Once you sort all that out you arrange the payment, if there is minor body work problem get the dealer to rectify before you collect it. Upon collection, test drive it again and only accept the car when everything is sorted out!

Edited by bear807 on 27/11/2012 at 08:07

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - TeeCee

You are absolutely correct of course.

However most of us around these parts know a thing or two about cars, whereas the majority of people out there do not. The OP quite deliberately chose to use VW's own main dealer network in the expectation that buying one of their "approved" cars would yield a quality product.

As it turns out they managed to find two who offer much the same service as any back-street thieving shark. There is a point in there.

What is the point of paying slightly more and going out of your way to purchase a vehicle from a manufacturer's approved scheme when you end up getting the same car and backup you could have obtained more cheaply at "A. Crook - Used Motors"?

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - skidpan

If the post is true (which I doubt) the OP is a salesman dream and has managed to ignore the basic rules of buying anything.

To admit to not rejecting the car because I was late for work is total stupidity.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - 72 dudes

Sorry OP, but I can only agree with the other contributors. It's hard to know how you could have made MORE mistakes when buying these cars.

• Not carefully inspecting each vehicle
  • Not asking to look at the V5 to ascertain history and keepers
  • Going ahead and purchasing the second car when you say yourself that it looked poor in parts
  • Not checking all round the second car again before completing the deal
  • Not taking either car for a sensible length test drive to make sure no faults present.

Without doubt you have received very poor service from these VW dealers, but having been "burned" once in 2010, why go back for more?

Consider if you went to a supermarket to buy a joint of pork. It was slightly mouldy in parts and the sell by date had expired. However, the manager said it was from a free range pig at a well known farm and anyway he will swill it off in water before you add it to your trolley and pay......Besides, those nice ads for Waiturys Supermarket on the telly give you the confidence to buy there...

You see why there isn't much sympathy on this board?

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Dingle232

Buy a Toyota next time.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - thunderbird

Is this supposed to be a joke, its not April the first, I know that. To quote your own post:

"On viewing the vehicle this latest vehicle, the one I currently one own, I was immediately concerned. When I first viewed the vehicle the condition of the vehicle was very poor."

Why did you just not walk away, sorry, run away. There is enough choice on the 2nd had market without buying cars that are obviouly faulty.

You are solely to blame and found a dealer willing to cooperate.

You knew what they say about a fool and his money.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - John Boy

Thunderbird asked "Is this supposed to be a joke, its not April the first, I know that."

It's hard to believe the OP did all that typing to wind everyone up into "smug" mode. Or is it a cut and paste job?

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - barney100

Why wasn't a thorough inspection of the cars done before the money was parted with?

Why wasn't a thorough inspection of the cars done before the money was parted with?

The owner did but he was too late for work to reject it.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Redhound

Is it really so bad to buy ex lease anyway? I was originally looking for a 'one careful owner' type car but ended up with an ex lease- it seems in good condition for the year and has been pretty well serviced..

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - daveyK_UK

there is a secondary issue here, how has VW kept a reputation it so clearly does not deserve for its products?

Is it really so bad to buy ex lease anyway? I was originally looking for a 'one careful owner' type car but ended up with an ex lease- it seems in good condition for the year and has been pretty well serviced..

There's a big difference between ex lease and ex daily rental, which I think is what the OP says these two "owners" were.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - hillman

You write very well and have spelled out your problems succinctly. A few of our fellow BRs have quoted the maxim, “Fool me once, shame on YOU, fool me twice, shame on ME”. It’s noble to trust, and at one time the attitude of salespeople in the automobile industry was, “My word is my bond”, but such people are increasingly rare. I read once that well meaning folks say, “Forgive and forget”, but others say that to forgive is divine, and to forget is gross carelessness.

I had a similar experience in that I acted as ‘old hand’ to a relative in the purchase of car from a Cheshire car supermarket. The car was much needed for travel to work. The car looked good, but when I asked to see the service book and read the spa*** nature of what was in there I got the salesman to agree that the AA inspect the car. We didn’t try to negotiate the price at all but accepted their selling figure with the proviso that the points that the AA inspection bro8ught up were fixed before delivery.

A restricted few of the obvious things were, but the car was potentially un-roadworthy. We are very fortunate to have a local garage where the proprietor is a personal friend and did a check for us. The fiasco then began. When the salesman refused to come to the phone I contacted the managing director as I was accustomed to doing in business, but he simply shunted the complaint down to a person in the department handling such. That person then started to waste time by asking for more and more detail until we realised that it was hopeless. In future I will ask for any agreement in writing which, of course, is the practice followed in business.

When we had paid a few hundred pounds to make the car roadworthy and safeguard the engine it turned out to be a very good car. Skoda Octavia; for those interested.

Instead of having two satisfied customers they now have two who warn everyone not to deal with them.

Hi hillman,
Reading your post reminds me of the car trade as it used to be thirty years ago .

Customer loyalty to a given brand and to a given dealer was the norm .

The dealer could be trusted to provide a quality product and when it went wrong the dealer would put it right usually under warranty .So the buyer returned to the same garage to buy again .Dealerships were profitable ,customers were happy.

It all went wrong with the growth of the Internet ,price is now everything ,buyers travel hundreds of miles to save £100 .Car supermarkets dominate the business .
Dealerships are marginally profitable ,typical profits of 1.5 % on turnover are usual .

Dealerships don't give a good service because buyers have no loyalty to the dealership or the brand ,if a customer can buy a car cheaper 20 miles away he will walk away from the local dealer .

The car buying public gets the dealer it deserves .

I'm not sure it's right to blame the internet - from my own experience it was going wrong long before that. I can remember being treated badly by Ford dealers in the '70s/'80s and Vauxhall dealers in the '80s/90s/'00s - before the advent of the internet - and in each case I vowed not to use them again.

I currently use a Hyundai dealer which isn't part of a group who have done everything right in the 2 years I've used them - so I'd suggest it's the size of the retail group that's the problem.

Looking for a used car for my son, I couldn''t get any empathy going with car supermarkets or big chains and bought a car from a single outlet used dealer in Cheshire about 60 miles from home - that was 3 years ago and time is suggesting the car was exactly as described - I'd have no trouble going back there if they had a model I wanted.

Rt,
(bought a car from a single outlet used dealer in Cheshire about 60 miles from home - .)

60 miles to buy a used car ,confirms my point I think.
Rt, (bought a car from a single outlet used dealer in Cheshire about 60 miles from home - .) 60 miles to buy a used car ,confirms my point I think.

So we should just use local dealers and buy whatever used cars they happen to have in stock should we - even if they aren't the best model for the job in hand and aren't in best condition ??

And that we'd already been shafted over the years by the two nearest dealers for that franchise anyway so using that manufacturers "approved used" scheme would mean a trip out.

Rt, (bought a car from a single outlet used dealer in Cheshire about 60 miles from home - .) 60 miles to buy a used car ,confirms my point I think.

60mile sis nothing. I travlled 75 miles to Leeds 3 times to buy teh colour and spec Jazz I wanted at £1k lower than local offers.

I still recall when the car makers operated cartels in pricing in the UK: 12 years ago.

Anyone who operated a cartel was thieving money from customers.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Engineer Andy

I recall when buying my first car (a 2yo Nissan Micra 1.0 "S") in 1998 paying £6350 at a local dealership (about 8 miles away), thinking I'd got a reasonable deal (negotiated £400 off the price).

When the internet-based firms arrived in force a few years later, I could see that local dealers were making a fortune out of sales, and weren't in my view compensating by having cheap servicing to keep their custom. As such, when I bought my next (and current) car, a new (del mileage only) Mazda3 4d 1.6p TS2, I searched both dealers up to the midlands and found the following:-

Dealers: Mazda3 1.6p 4d TS (not TS2) - £13k

Fleet Buy brokers (e.g. Drive the Deal etc): 1.6p 4d TS (not TS2) - £11.5k

Motorpoint (where I bought the car): Mazda3 4d 1.6p TS2 (better) - £10.3k

No contest - they took a £250 credit card deposit, took my Micra in px for a reasonable price, so I made the 100+ miles journey up the M1 to Derby. Apart from a miscommunication about the ICE (radio only - it was a RHD import from Cyprus - they compensated me nicely and immediately), everything went very smoothly.

I would've driven all the way to Aberdeen if I was offered a genuine new car at £2.5k (20% saving on dealer price [for lower model] and 25% off list price) off the best dealer price and for the better model (and in the colour/trim I wanted too!).

I noted at the time that the dealers were more interested in trying to get me to buy their "unwanted" cars rather than the one I wanted, perhaps with the exception of the Honda dealer, who did all I asked of - a shame their offerings were so expensive (1.4 Jazz @£11k [no discount], equiv. spec Civic 1.6 sport @ £14k [no discount]). compared to the Mazda (which was much cheaper to service as well).

When the internet-based firms arrived in force a few years later, I could see that local dealers were making a fortune out of sales, and weren't in my view compensating by having cheap servicing to keep their custom.

I would've driven all the way to Aberdeen if I was offered a genuine new car at £2.5k (20% saving on dealer price [for lower model] and 25% off list price) off the best dealer price and for the better model (and in the colour/trim I wanted too!)

Here is East Anglia, used car prices do seem quite a bit higher. Much as I would like to buy locally, my last two purchases were from Leeds and Warwick (180 miles and 120 miles) respectively. In each case I saved about £1000 compared to equivalent local models, and they were both "Approved Used".

Norwich seems to be the worst city for ridiculously high prices e.g. it's common to see 10 and 12 year old small family cars for sale at about £2500!

The dealer could be trusted to provide a quality product and when it went wrong the dealer would put it right usually under warranty .So the buyer returned to the same garage to buy again .Dealerships were profitable ,customers were happy.

I remember in 1968 watching the local Ford Garage filling in the rust at teh bottom of Cortina doors with filler for resale.

That view is rose tinted glasses stufff I am afraid.

I treat most used car salesmen as potential crooks: it saves time.

(I treat most used car salesmen as potential crooks: it saves time.)
And then complain that they don't treat you as a serious buyer?
VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - brum

I, for one, have a great deal of sympathy for the OP as yet again I hear the standard backroom reply, " you're a fool, look at me - I wouldnt be taken in cos I'm an expert mechanically, in human psychology, and all manner of other things... ".

BUT the point is VAG Group garages run APPROVED USED CAR schemes, that are supposed to give peace of mind to even the blindest of buyers. Do clever a*** backroomers think for one minute that a little old lady would be "an idiot " to trust what she was told by the salesman about the history of the car, or for not making a 100 point RAC type inspection either herself or independently?

What about one of the schemes main selling point - '

30 day/1000 mile 'No Quibble' Exchange Policy, if for any reason, you want to change the car - maybe you have second thoughts, or it doesn't fit in your garage, for instance - we will always allow you to exchange it for another of the same price*

*As long as the vehicle is returned in the same condition as when collected.

Is that not a legally binding statement/policy?

I could go on at great length, but I might make the statement that 90%+ of all approved used car schemes, whether VAG group, Ford direct, Toyota or whoever are ex rental/lease cars, most of which have never ever been serviced. If a salesmen tells you a downright lie to seal a deal, its misrepresentation in English law and you have legal redress.

Edited by brum on 29/11/2012 at 00:48

BUT the point is VAG Group garages run APPROVED USED CAR schemes, that are supposed to give peace of mind to even the blindest of buyers.

The OP admits that the car was poor but still bought it. Who in their right mind would buy a car that they were unhappy with and hope that the dealer would sort it when he had just rejected another for exactly the same reason.

Sorry, but he has created this situation himself. Hope he learns this time.

(I treat most used car salesmen as potential crooks: it saves time.) And then complain that they don't treat you as a serious buyer?

Well as I have just bought a car.. apparently not..

(I take great care to keep my feelings/thoughts hidden)

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - bonzo dog

Hi Deale, you are clearly unhappy about the way you have been treated & quite rightly so. Most of the posters have been critical because having had one unhappy experience at a VW site they suggest you should stay away from all VW sites. Without checking upon the ownership of both sites in question having a bad experience at one VW site should not mean you should expect the same at another.

As Brum says (in part), you are buying:

1. from a retailer
  2. from a franchised dealer
  3. a (manufacturer) Approved vehicle & as such you should expect beter treatment

Unfortunatly lying (about the ownership), misleading (about the exchange scheme) & the general poor preparation is all to indicative of the UK retail motor trade & whilst they probably haven't done anything illegal (unfortunately) you should detail this to VW themselves (NOT THE DEALERSHIP).

Many car dealers rely on (& please don't take this personally) suckers to make the bulk of their income & VW dealers probably more than most since the GBP have a vastly over-rated opinion of VW cars.

As has also been said, next time buy a Toyota (or Honda, Nissan, Kia or Hyundai). Good luck

Hi Deale, you are clearly unhappy about the way you have been treated & quite rightly so. Most of the posters have been critical because having had one unhappy experience at a VW site they suggest you should stay away from all VW sites.

No, it's 3 unhappy experiences, read the post again.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - Rats
Many car dealers rely on (& please don't take this personally) suckers to make the bulk of their income & VW dealers probably more than most since the GBP have a vastly over-rated opinion of VW cars.

Hear, hear, looking at the letters from "satisfied" customers in my local VW Gin Palace, this would seem to be the case..........Mrs Bloggs, 75, writes thanking them for a great service, which probably means a standard service plus heaven knows how many "extras" brake pads, scored discs, half a pint of screen wash charged at ten-twenty times the price you can get it elsewhere etc.

VW - Can you trust Volkswagen dealers - a warning - thunderbird

you should detail this to VW themselves (NOT THE DEALERSHIP).

No point from my personal experience. They will just write back saying that dealers are private bussinesses and can operate how they like.

Add to that your contact is with the suppling dealer thus VW have no responsibility whatsoever.