A - Sold car, get letter from 3rd party & mib - asdfg12345
Hi everyone need some advice quickly.

Sold a car 2 years ago. Was then contacted by an insurance company and police 2 weeks later to say the car had been involved in accident after sale date. I told them the details of the buyer and advised i was no longer the owner. I also sent a letter to the dvla to advise that they had not taken my name off the logbook and to do so with the correct details asap and provided date of sale.

2 years later now a third party company presumably working for an insurance company has contacted me advising me to prove that i sold the car, i advised all relevant parties are aware who the owner was at the time as i have given the details, it seems to me that the person that bought the car has refused to accept liability one way or another and now the company has come to me?

I have now received a letter from the MIB advising that they believe i was the owner and driver which i was clearly not. I don't have much documentation to prove the sale as it was 2 years ago and just thought it would be a normal sale.

I have already advised the third party company that the vehicle was sold but it seems that due to dvla not changing my name off the logbook at the correct time they keep on wanting to pursue me. I have now requested from the dvla details of when the vehicle was taken off my name. It seems as though dvla does not update records on time which from experiences of other people on other websites are experiencing quite a bit.

It seems as though whoever had the accident is trying to pull a fast one and i am being blamed for it. How can i defend these allegations if the dvla have messed up with the records. By the looks of it after 2 years they are now looking for a scapegoat. Do you think i should contact a solicitor as it seems that this situation is getting a bit out of hand now.

Would appreciate a reply with advice.

Best regards

A - Sold car, get letter from 3rd party & mib - Avant

Already posted and replied to in the Motoring section. More comments welcome on that thread.