Any - Super Unleaded - nick62

Unfortunately I do not ride my bikes nearly often enough as I should, with the result that they can stand for too long with this "orrible" ethanol polluted petrol in the tank and all the problems this can (and does) cause.

I am aware that some (but not all) "super" fuel brands are ethanol free! Can anyone better informed than me give any indication of which particular brands are thus if possible please?

Any - Super Unleaded - craig-pd130

This is purely my 10p worth, but based on my own experiences with my 1976 Suzi triple 2-stroke, I've never had a single problem with modern petrol.

The tank was lined by the previous owner over 15 years ago, I've no idea what brand of liner was used. Over winter, the bike is often left for 6 - 8 weeks between rides, while waiting for a dry day. I never drain the floatbowls / tank, never use a fuel additive, nor get an exorcist in to pray over the bike :) and yet it always starts right up and runs clean (well, as clean as a 36-year old 2 stroke ever will ...)

For what it's worth, I fill up with Shell 9 times out of 10 (simply because it's the nearest to my house). Sometimes the V-Power, sometimes the regular stuff, it depends which pump is available.

Any - Super Unleaded - bathtub tom

Perhaps not as relevant to bikes.

I use one of my cars for off-road competition. It involves a minute or so of flat out driving and then standing around for a time. It seemed to suffer from fuel vaporisation on subsequent runs (it's carbed). I now use super unleaded and that seems to have cured the problem. Another advantage would seem to be a more progressive throttle ( but that could be wishful thinking because of the premium I'm paying).

Any - Super Unleaded - JonSon1

It's not that the ethanol is any harder on your engine . My local petrol station didn't have any normal unleaded petrol this morning so instead I put in some Super Unleaded .

Edited by Avant on 04/08/2013 at 20:50

Any - Super Unleaded - James Brown
Super unleaded work for old cars that don’t normally use unleaded fuel.Get the best fuel.
Any - Super Unleaded - bluezzr1100

Ethanol is endemic in most supermarket fuel. It is miscible with water and is hygroscopic so you run the risk of getting water in your fuel tank when the humidity is high or the temperature suddenly rises after a cold snap. In order to avoid this I use the higher octane stuff because it will have little or no bio ethanol in it in order to achieve the higher octane rating. This is especially important if you have a vehicle which will be left standing for any length of time.

This is the illusion under which I have lived in recent years and I may of course be wrong but I have had no fuel contamination or engine corrosion problems in the 8 vehicles which I run.

Any - Super Unleaded - bathtub tom

Ethanol is water based, so will have a proportion of water in it. I understand all UK road fuel is 5% ethanol. Aviation fuel contains no ethanol, both 91 octane unleaded and 100 octane LL (laughingly called low lead despite containing many times the lead road petrol ever had).

Any - Super Unleaded - CHarkin

Like yourself my bike is left for probably half the year unused. I have had the same bike now for 13 years (CBF1000 ) so understand how it works. After several years of trying different solutions to the difficult to start and poor running in the spring I started using Shell V power and the problems have disappeared now for the last 5 or 6 years. I have been told from several sources that V Power has no ethanol added. Use it all the time now and the bike is the better for it.

Any - Super Unleaded - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Thanks guys. Unfortunately we don't have Shell petrol stations where I ride, in Chesterfield or the Peak District. Usually run my BMW on branded petrol and had no stutters over 17 years of ownership. April to October riding only.

Just checked my local filling station and Google says

Texaco: Ethanol is added at 5% to unleadedpetrol. Texaco Super Unleaded petrol does notcontain ethanol.

The 97 octane superunleaded sold there is around 7p more expensive. I have used it occasionally.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 18/07/2019 at 23:10

Any - Super Unleaded - Pica

Shell V Power appears to have up to 5% Ethanol as the pump I used today was marked E5

Any - Super Unleaded - SteveLee

In the UK you can have up to 5% ethanol in petrol without disclosing the fact. I suspect pretty much all UK fuel has 5% ethanol these days because of this.