Peugeot 1.4 HDi - Fuel problems - ssclark

I have been having trouble with starting and performance lately.

The car is usually parked overnight facing downhill and starts OK.

The car is parked on the level while at work and can be difficult to start - the priming pump has to be pumped sometimes.

I decided to park overnight facing uphill and the car is very difficult to start.

Priming puts fuel into the pipe, but it then runs back out. There is a lot of air in the fuel.

Is there a none return valve in the fuel feed?

Also does anyone have a diagram for the fuel system pipes as I cannot follow them

very easily.

Thanks for looking

Peugeot 1.4 HDi - Fuel problems - Peter D

You have an air leak somewhere and they can be very difficult to fine, very close inspection of all the joints is requirded. Regards Peter

Peugeot 1.4 HDi - Fuel problems - Peter.N.

If you leave it parked facing steeply downhill you may find that the fuel will leak out where the problem is.

If you leave it parked facing steeply downhill you may find that the fuel will leak out where the problem is.

There appears to be no leaks

UPDATE

I had the fuel "pump" out.

Turns out it is not a pump !

Well, not an electrical one and I dont know how it works - any body know.

Is there another pump somewhere (apart from high pressure one) and if not how does

it work ?

Regards Sam

Peugeot 1.4 HDi - Fuel problems - Peter.N.

The old non commonrail diesels had a transfer pump in the injection pump that pulled the fuel from the tank by vacuum, I think the original idea was to stop the smell that early diesels had because of leaks. The early Hdi's had a pump in the tank but I believe some have now gone back to the vacuum system which is why leaks are difficult to find as the system is under vacuum while running, which is why I suggested parking it on a slope, to create some pressure.

If the fuel filter needs replacing that will add to the problem and its very often in that area the air gets in.