car insurance renewal-good news - concrete

Just got a very pleasant surprise. My renewal documents arrived and prior to opening them I anticipated a few hours on the internet finding a new insurance company. Not so! My insurer, LV has actually reduced my premium from £590 last year to £462 for the next year. Same cover, same everything. My policy includes the lot, including breakdown and business cover. I telephoned them, 0800 free, not the usual 0845 or similar at £1 per minute. They confirmed it was correct. While on, I increased my annual estimated mileage by 6K to account for next years work load and travelling. This cost the princely sum of £12 per annum. After all the tales of woe on the forum about insurers I was shocked. Three cheers for LV. So impressed my household policy is coming up soon and I will give them a call. Gobsmacked. Cheers Concrete

car insurance renewal-good news - RT

Over the years, I've come to accept that insurers each "target" a certain profile of driver and quote reasonable premiums to them with massive premiums to everyone else but you can't rely on it staying that way as all of a sudden your premiums go up at renewal.

It's the same with business cover, good value if it's standard, expensive if it's extra - that's until you no longer need business cover then the insurers who charge extra for it are better.

car insurance renewal-good news - Chris79

Good news your car insurance has just gone down.

My renewal came through from LV the other day. I thought happy days as it had dropped from 463 to 420. I thought i would check online however and exactly the same policy with LV for a new customer came up at 390!.

The same was true for our home and contents with another insurer, So much for customer loyalty!.

That said I have no complaints with LV .

car insurance renewal-good news - daveyjp
I used to be with LV, then I had a non fault claim. Handled excellently, but they wanted some recompense for their time next time they quoted for me, so I changed.

I will continue to use their travel insurance though.
car insurance renewal-good news - Ethan Edwards

Always but always shop around.

If you cannot be bothered then don't ever complain about being ripped off.

The OP had good news (happy for him) but I wonder if he could have got an even cheaper deal by shopping around.

car insurance renewal-good news - gordonbennet

Tried to insure the dog with LV online this year, it proved impossible to pay (thats a new one on me), calling the no helpline was simply a waste of time several times, i wonder if claims handling is as difficult.

Back to NFU, saving £50 simply wasn't worth the ulcers.

car insurance renewal-good news - Chris M

Concrete, If you are going to try LV for your home insurance, make sure you tell them that they have your car insurance as well as they give a further discount. 10% I believe.

car insurance renewal-good news - Armitage Shanks {p}

I was with LV for years and then, without any change in my circumstances, their premiums just went way up. I left them after 10 years as a satisfied customer which included a well handled claim.

0845 numbers cost 3.4p a minute peak, 1.7p evenings and 0.6p at weekends BTW!

car insurance renewal-good news - Bobbin Threadbare

Over the years, I've come to accept that insurers each "target" a certain profile of driver and quote reasonable premiums to them with massive premiums to everyone else but you can't rely on it staying that way as all of a sudden your premiums go up at renewal.

It's the same with business cover, good value if it's standard, expensive if it's extra - that's until you no longer need business cover then the insurers who charge extra for it are better.

Definitely. LV are not interested in my business or that of my husband; some companies want us, others don't.

I had to swap details when I bought the MX-5 last month, and Direct Line, with whom I have always insured my car and home, decided that they needed another £400 from me for swapping a Mazda 6 to a MX-5 (that would have take my insurance to over £900 - eek). I said no, they wouldn't budge despite my history with them, so bye bye. A company which has never previously given any decent quotes got my business instead (Sheila's - cue the 'well you have got a silly girly car now' comments from Mr B).

car insurance renewal-good news - unthrottled

So they almost doubled your premium when you went to a smaller car of similar power?!

My brother is with Direct line. Newish driver with 2 years' NCD. He swapped details from a 1.2 Corsa to a 2.5 Turbo Focus. His premium increased by....

....about £25 From £1000 to £1025. Even the operator at DL couldn't believe it. Their actuaries must be smoking something.

So they almost doubled your premium when you went to a smaller car of similar power?!

My brother is with Direct line. Newish driver with 2 years' NCD. He swapped details from a 1.2 Corsa to a 2.5 Turbo Focus. His premium increased by....

....about £25 From £1000 to £1025. Even the operator at DL couldn't believe it. Their actuaries must be smoking something.

I did say 'it's the same sized engine'. The horsepower is almost the same; it's just a different body. Mileage stays the same. Obviously they didn't want my custom any longer. It did surprise me, given that they will insure a Celica for under £500.....Give them their due, they were quick about sending my proof of no claims on.

car insurance renewal-good news - Andy P

There was an article in the Mail today that says that you get a better deal changing insurers every year, as very few give any reward for loyalty. Most only give the best deals for new customers.

car insurance renewal-good news - unthrottled

I always sign up as a 'new' customer with my existing insurer because I get a better deal. For me DL are very good.

I've done that with DL a few times. Usually gets another £50-£100 off....!