Copart phoned car I do not own - scam or id theft? - uksant

Hello Backroomers

I was called today by a company called Copart. The (pleasant enough) caller asked me "when would you like your Ford Fiesta collected?" She knew my full name and my mobile number. I didn't have the foggiest what she was on about and told her so. She said her information was from 'Admiral' (presumably the insurance company, with which I have never had a policy).

Is this somekind of scam / fraud / identity theft? (the number I was called form is indeed Copart's and Copart seems to be a bona fide concern, if the google search is anything to go by).

Any advice warmly appreciated!

Copart phoned car I do not own - scam or id theft? - injection doc

copart seems legit enough !

so did you get the reg number of the suposed car you own ?

You said the caller new your full name and tel number ! what about the address ?

Have you tried calling Admiral ? not that I hold much hope of explaining to some one the situation ! trying to get hold of a supervisor in nigh impossible at Admiral !

It would be worth while pusuing to make sure you have not suffered an identy theft and someones bought a car with your credit rating !

Copart phoned car I do not own - scam or id theft? - uksant

Hi, thanks for the reply but panic appears to be over. Looks like a person living at a property of mine (genuine guy) has indeed had his car written off but somehow his insurance company incorrectly gave the property owner's details to the salvage company (Copart). Copart have confirmed they are liaising with Admiral on this and tenant has confirmed that he was wondering why the salvage company had not contacted him yet. So, appears to be a mistake at this stage.

Actually, Admiral did answer my call also (eventually) and at least confirmed that they do not have a policy in my name or for a car with my car's reg, so unlikely to be something dodgy....